• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 730 Off-Highway Truck NO START

zx240lc-3

Hello,

We had a Caterpillar 730 off-highway truck go down last week. There was a fuel line that rubbed through from the tank to the primary filter. The truck ran out of fuel and since replacing the line and both fuel filters we have not been able to get it started again.

We have bled the system as best we can and have 70psi fuel pressure after the transfer pump at the secondary fuel filter base. I also replaced the fuel check valve in the secondary filter base and that did not help and did not change our fuel pressure at all. The motor is a C11. We get no smoke out the exhaust pipe and we have tried running it off ether to try to get the air bled from the system and out of the injectors but once the ether runs out the truck just dies.

What can we do as a next step? it almost seems like the ECM isn't firing the injectors. I have no way of checking the codes but today i noticed there is a little book icon coming up on the display. Anyone with experience dealing with one of these? I am not sure why simply replacing the line is causing us so much trouble getting it going again. I've herd these can be a b!@Tch to get going again but maybe we are missing a simple step somewhere.

-j

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Did you crack the injector lines? I do not recommend using starting fluid.

Manu

When electronically controlled fuel injectors are run out of fuel it is sometimes hard to get the air out. I use a portable fuel pump setup to "supercharge"the fuel galleries then crank the engine. If that doesn't work connect ET and verify that fuel position is turned on if there is an emergency shut down attachment.