• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 420D

gswinney

Good Morning,
We have a Caterpillar 420D Backhoe, not all that familiar with cat, it has a steering problem! doesn't steer hard, but You have make a lot of turns with the wheel to get it to turn a little, wanted to see if Anyone could point Me in a direction to look in.

Thank You!

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Sorry a bit late getting to this post.
Serial number please
1/did it just happen?
2/has any recent work been done on the machine.
3/have you checked the basics? oil levels, filters, etc.
As a first step I would cap off the lines going to the steering cylinder to see if that makes a difference
Mark

gswinney

Sorry a bit late getting to this post.
Serial number please
1/did it just happen?
2/has any recent work been done on the machine.
3/have you checked the basics? oil levels, filters, etc.
As a first step I would cap off the lines going to the steering cylinder to see if that makes a difference
Mark
Hello Mark, sorry I didn't see where anybody had replied until I got back on here,serial is BLN12026. It kind of faded in rather rapidly, nothing has been done to the machine lately, basics have been ck'ed, haven't capped the lines yet, will do that soon, this kind of a spare hoe and I have been really busy. Thank You!