• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 416, No forward gear from shuttle

HarrisEquipment

Occupation
Jack Of All Trades Working Towards A Master's
Got a Cat 416 that forward gear quit on the shuttle selector.

I plan to try filters.

Is there anything to check for pressure ports that may indicate whats wrong?
Or any common problems like linkage adjustment?

I got to travel 40 miles to the machine so I need to take everything I may need and as much knowledge.

Thanks

HarrisEquipment

Occupation
Tore into the 416 backhoe today. Changed the filter to start with. Transmission would shift into reverse easier then forward, but you had to raise the rpm quit a bit. The pressure reading for the forward gear was 100 psi and line pressure was 5-8 psi at idle but would increse to 90 at full throttle. Started checking the neutral solenoid on the gear shift, it seemed to work okay with out binding. Then I removed the shuttle valve itself, it has 3 allen head screw holding it to the valve body. Becareful, there is a ball bearing/check valve that will fall out.

Found the heavy spring between the 2 spools was broken into and cracked in two other places.
Gettin parts ordered today.

I reassembled it with the broke parts so they could keep using it to load hay. It actually was working better now, though it still hesitated going into Fwd.

HarrisEquipment

Occupation
Got the new springs installed yesterday.
Trans now works like new.

Hope this thread can help somebody else someday.

Out

quackattak

We have a 416 that won't move in any direction once the trans is warm, have not had time to work on it yet. Still upset from the operator error that caused it, he was back filling a hole with the hand throttle all the way forward. Over a hour of "work" at 2200rpms, 2 minute training program and can't understand what he is being told.