• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 3412 HEUI injectors

skara2007

IMAG0187.jpgIMAG0188.jpgIMAG0189.jpgIMAG0190.jpgIMAG0191.jpg

here is my fat lady.990hp trailer 3412E, 260hp Tractor loader 3126. 1000ccm hydraulic pumps, 7000ccm hydraulic motors on the tool.

excavator

After starting this thread back in October, I finally was able to get the injector part number. It's a 10R1265 and the engine serial number prefix is 4CR. Skara2007's starting problems are identical to this engine. Customer spent 3 hours getting it started on Friday so he could grind today, temperature was in the low 50*F. The north east wind started blowing yesterday, temperature is in the high 20*F and it started this morning. It's only after sitting for more than a week or so that it does not want to start.

skara2007

my engine is allso 4CR, I just got the new injectors, they are not exact mach number buth like I said I wil try to combine them with the original noosles.
I will post the results here. My problem is also turbines.
Of about 12 turbines uset for these engines mine is the only one with the diferent cartridge. And ofcourse they cant bee found anywhere buth directly from cat,
I don't want to tell you how much that will cost mee. This Engine is a bitch.

skara2007

Can you tell mee something about injector trim codes on cat 3412E. I just got new injectors for the engine and I don't know where to find these codes. Is it nesesary to change these codes or what. thank's.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Only EUI injectors use Trim Codes, HEUI do not use them. The idea of the Trim Code is so that all injectors can be programmed to deliver exactly the same amount of fuel despite manufacturing tolerances. Some engines have the Trim Code marked on the solenoid, on others it's marked on the plunger on the top of the injector. The Code for each injector has to be manually programmed into the engine ECM for the specific cylinder where the injector is installed using Cat ET.

excavator

What is involved in changing injectors in these engines? Any special tools or set up ect? I'm also looking for an engine manual for the 4CR serial number. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

skara2007

You just replace them. there are some special tools that cat has, buth you don't need them. just pul them out carefuly.
For the engine manual, it is best you download cat SIS, you wil hawe all the info there. When you replace the injectors you should clean the injector sleaves before inserting them back. Before You pull the old ones it would be best if you disasemble all the fuel lines from the cyl. head so that the fuel from the lines dont go in to the cylinders. Buth that is allso not a big problem for these engines.

Nige

What is involved in changing injectors in these engines? Any special tools or set up ect? I'm also looking for an engine manual for the 4CR serial number. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
Make sure after removing the old injector that the sleeve in the head is cleaned really well before installing the replacement. The sleeves (especially the little narrow diameter part right in the bottom) tend to carbon up and there is a chance that the tip can be broken off a new injector if you try to force it in to the hole. The Cat tools look a bit like the brushes used to clean out a baby's feeding bottle but they are wire instead of nylon bristles. We always used to do the final cleaning of the "hole" with fine grade abrasive paper on a wooden shaft to make sure the seals on the new injector had the best chance of surviving.

excavator

Nige, the part number you listed, 174-7529 is for serial numbers 4CR1066 and up. The serial number of the engine I am working on is 4CR00705 and that calls for 138-8756 or 138-8754 or 138-8624. Which one would you use? Is there any reason why a newer serial number injector (174-7529) can't be put in the older motor? Thanks again, just want to get everything right before doing this job.

Nige

138-8754 & 138-8756 are basically the same thing, just one is assembled to a higher level than the other - it has the 115-3198 adapter block on top already installed. 138-8624 doesn't come up as a genuine number - certainly it's not an injector anyway (listed as a Bracket Assy).

Your engine was originally built with 138-8754 injectors. However if you ask for 138-8754 today the system will actually send you to 174-7526 (apologies, I posted the wrong number before). 174-7526 & 174-7529 are effectively the latest replacement numbers for 138-8754 & 138-8756 respectively.

174-7526 is listed in the system as a "Field Replacement" for all earlier Part Numbers of injector.

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
hi Nige through them in the bin reman is not worth the hart ache must bin 50 a week