• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 317

weedel

I have a question. Has anyone ran a new cat 317? We got one at work back in November to replace our 316. It is setup identical to the old one. Small size boom, stick, thumb, and kept our 5' clean up bucket from the old on. But the machines are completely different. The electronic over hydraulic to a little to get used. But this machine feels like it has reduce power. It struggles to multi function and it will hardly track if you are operating anything else. Then to top it off it constantly wants to tip with the 5' bucket. Loading trucks is a challenge and was never a problem with the 316 and same bucket. I did notice the 317 only has 1 pump instead of 2. But I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Zewnten

It’s a completely different hydraulic system on the 317 compared to the 316, it’s going to take getting used to. As for the bucket size the max size cat shows is a 48” on this machine. Could also be where your reduced power is coming from.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Wdl! Glad to have you.

Yeah the Next Gen Cat excavators are completely different that the previous model. Traded our 325FL last year for a NG 325. The hydraulics and controls are a bit different that takes a little to get used to. However the new 325 seems stronger than the 325FL.

jbert7

What’s your guys opinion on the cat 317? I have a 145 Volvo and think a 317 would go well with it. Trying to find a machine that I can still tow with my 25ton trailer.

DD57

You can't go wrong with the Cat, when you pull on the site with the Cat, people are going to respect you. Plus,you can always sell a Cat.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Have no experience operating a 317 but I've owned a 315CL and 315DL which were both great machines. I am guessing the 317 took it's place?

Hauled them regularly on our 25T+ trailer.

Tags

You can't go wrong with the Cat, when you pull on the site with the Cat, people are going to respect you. Plus,you can always sell a Cat.
Cat makes a nice product. The electric over hydraulic system is not my cup of tea. You’ll also pay more for the cat. The support from cat is only as good as the local dealer. Just as it is with any brand. If I need a certain brand machine to be “respected” when I show up, that’s the wrong job for me. I’ve never gotten respect for the machine I was running, it was my work ethic, doing what I said I would, and attention to all the details that got me respect….

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I demoed a new CASE 170 E series in Oct. I ran a Link Belt 365 X4S in January on a demo job. Machines are much the same except engines are different. The hydraulic system is outstanding. You can completely program how fast you want arm, boom speeds, very fast hydraulics, and I mean fast. If this year goes well I will trade my Link Belt X4 on either the new Link Belt or CASE machine. I like my X4 a lot, but this new machine is next level.

Ollie

morning. If u go under bucket setting in your cat and scroll around u can pick your speeds of functions. There all set at 5 if u put boom up at 9 then boom down should be 8 or 9. Have a broken ankle right now. Going to hop in hoe tomorrow give it ago. There is also an auto setting to tell pumps what to look for. Will reply more when in hoe as to find setting hope this helps for now

jbert7

Have no experience operating a 317 but I've owned a 315CL and 315DL which were both great machines. I am guessing the 317 took it's place?

Hauled them regularly on our 25T+ trailer.
Thanks for the reply! And yes the 317 took the 316 place

jbert7

I demoed a new CASE 170 E series in Oct. I ran a Link Belt 365 X4S in January on a demo job. Machines are much the same except engines are different. The hydraulic system is outstanding. You can completely program how fast you want arm, boom speeds, very fast hydraulics, and I mean fast. If this year goes well I will trade my Link Belt X4 on either the new Link Belt or CASE machine. I like my X4 a lot, but this new machine is next level.
Really appreciate the reply!

Ollie

If u go into service 9992 go to attachments then controllable settings can change speeds of boom stick bucket etc. then if u go two down to attachment valve #1 if you run a tilt Bucket etc it maybe on Manuel change to auto forget the wording cat has in there. Hope this helps