• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 18M Grader

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
I wonder if that 18m is a new machine or if they are doing some renumbering to reflect the higher weights. Like was done in the 80's with the 8L, 9L, 10 to become 9N, 10N, 11N. And the 4H and 5H being transitioned to 5M, 6M.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I've been trying to find info on the 18m for a while and nothing. I'm very curious. I know in a couple years we are getting new blades and they don't really wanna go to 24's so the 18's might be what we get to replace the 16's.

big ben

Yes, it is a new machine and the 16M and 24M are still being built.

It is as Desertwheeler says a machine being built to fill in the gap between the 16M to 24M

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are a lot of operations like the one I was at most recently where a 16 wasn't big enough but a 24 would have been overkill. I imagine there are hundreds more the same. That's the market Cat appear to be aiming for with the 18.

Graderfan1981

I don't think that they want replace the 16M, because they have bring out a new version this year from the 16M, the 16M3 is the new version.
I think they offer a new grader type between 16M and 24M. I think the blade standard size for 18M will be 5,49 m, because the type numbers is the size blade length in ft.

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
Only reason I asked is the 14 wasn't mentioned. I thought maybe they added weight and HP to the 14 chassis and renumber it a 16m3 and same for the 16.

big ben

So is that a 16M in the video? Or a field follow 18M with 16M camoflage?

There is both in the video and they switch back and forth between the 2.
But they never do a close up of the 18M to see the numbers.
The grader with the catwalks and guard rails surrounding the cab so you have to climb up over the tandems to get into the cab in the video is the 18M

There is no 16M camouflage cause when you see it from the side it is very different from what the 16M looks like. It looks like a mini 24M

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From practical experience the 16M is not short of HP if that makes any difference ...... maybe that's all they thought it needed..?

I also note it's been configured for mining applications with all the access platforms, tie-downs, and handrails. And finally they've got rid of those poxy steps.

Graderfan1981

yes I think that too, that this is a 16M with a 18M blade, the difference is not much, the weight from the 16M3 is 32,4 t and 18M3 is 33,7 t.

The difference from the 14M and 16M is lots of more.

Plant_mech

If cat have used the the same chassis as the 16m wouldn't it just make the new 18m more likely to be damaged by operators rotating the Blade under the cab where they can't see or hitting a steer tyre
I know you can get the blade extensions but when there fitted the operator is more aware due to the large bolt end on one side
Then for transport will the blade tuck in against the unit enough to fit on a low loader or is it going to be like the 24m's where it's blade may be assembled on side and transport the blade on a flat bed ( doubt it but it's still a thort)
Idk just food for thort

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
If cat have used the the same chassis as the 16m wouldn't it just make the new 18m more likely to be damaged by operators rotating the Blade under the cab where they can't see or hitting a steer tyre
I know you can get the blade extensions but when there fitted the operator is more aware due to the large bolt end on one side
Then for transport will the blade tuck in against the unit enough to fit on a low loader or is it going to be like the 24m's where it's blade may be assembled on side and transport the blade on a flat bed ( doubt it but it's still a thort)
Idk just food for thort

The wheelbase is 15 inches longer so there is adequate room for positioning the longer moldboard. The machine ships with the moldboard on, no pilot cars were required.

alco

I still can't help but wonder why an 18M, and not a 20M?