• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Catercarriage vs Terex/ASV survey

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
All right, been a while since I posted. Usually takes some dumb a** thing with my Caterpillar skid steer to get me fired up again. This is for the ASV people out there - how many of you are having axles snap on your 80 and 100 HP machines? In particular, the front axles? We have broken or bent 6 axles on 2 machines in 4000 hours combined. 5 of the 6 failed axles have been on the front of the machines. The one that broke today was one that was replaced with the supposedly new and improved axle 800 hours ago. Is ASV having these issues as well with the double suspension? Or is this double suspension axle issue unique to Caterpillar? More evidence of what some have said about the improperly balanced machine?
When we broke the first axle a year and a half ago, we made it clear to Caterpillar that most contractors enjoy the smoother ride, but would sacrifice the ride if it was going to cost an arm and a leg for undercarriage upkeep.

Mackcat

I have had numerous ASV Machines and had alot of axles break. I replaced them with the heaver updated axle. This solved the breaking problem, but then the seals and bearing started coming out ruining the axle. this got very expensive ASV offered no help so long story short, Traded for CAT 297C and have had zero problems with the undercarriage so far

Digdeep

I have not had a torsion axle on my RC50 break. And I haven't heard of torsion axles breaking either. However, I have heard that the old wheel axles did have some failures..knock on wood none of mine have. I have not heard anyone, including the dealer tech or salesman saying anything but good things since ASV switched to metal face seals.

JDOFMEMI

3600 hours on my 287 and other than worn out tracks and worn out rubbers on the idlers and rollers, I haven't had any trouble. The last set of tracks lasted 1600 hrs, and they have been through a wide range of use and some abuse. Rock is tough on them as is demo work and jumping curbs, but the performance of the machine is great, and the ride can't be beat.
Never had an axle break, and I pack a lot of heavy gear around, repeatedly loading things that lift the rear end off the ground. With forks on, it is not unusual to lift 5 to 6,000 lbs and carry it, sometimes on pretty rough ground. I have cut slopes, both up and down as well as side hill, and never thrown a track. I do not run a mulcher though, so I don't have the same experience as Lance

All in all, I am pretty impressed with it.

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
Yeah...I'll definitely second the ride. Since our 287 has had the heavier axles on....knock on wood, haven't had any issues. Not sure and should check what axles were put on the 297. I was just curious if there was a difference in axle failures between the ASV's and the Cat's. Or if people were just having random problems. Our next machine will definitely be a much more stock,basic machine. Even if that means going back to wheels and over the tires tracks.