• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat943 Loader 4 in 1 cylinder removal

jefftchase

Occupation
Engineer
I am trying to removal the 4in1 bucket cylinder from the machine for rebuild and got it almost off. I am left with trying to remove the lower cylinder pin, but I am not having any success. See the pictures. There is a retain bolt which I have removed but the pin seems to of been pressed in?? Any ideas. I have tried heat, but not to the point of red hot.

Delmer

Can't picture it myself, but keep posting, I think you need three posts without insulting the British or Canadians to be able to post a picture.

Can you get a small hydraulic jack to put some force on it? what else have you tried? Hopefully it hasn't been peened over already.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can see from the photos you've had heat on it, but it doesn't look like too much judging by the colour of the paint. Try heating the "ears" of the bucket until they are almost red-hot then spray all around the exposed parts of the pin and down the securing bolt hole with penetrating fluid. That might well loosen it.

If not - plan B. Take the grease nipple out of the inside end of the pin, get a good 50 or 100-ton hydraulic jack (one that will work on its side - a lot won't) Get the jack in between the end of the pin and the bucket, heat the bejasus out of the 2 ears until they're almost red-hot, put some serious weight on with the jack then finally beat the hell out of the outside ear of the bucket to jar the pin loose.

If neither of the above work - thermic lance through the middle of the pin.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
the way i look at it, take the top off or remove the upper pin, that may take some of the tensinion out to remove the bottom, good luck, sam.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
How bout a PS, on that, Take the Hyd. lines loose, and drain off cyl. so everything can move, good luck, sam.

Delmer

Before you honk on it too much, start with a little pressure on a hydraulic jack and see if either ear moves on the pin. Look at the gap and the bit of pin sticking out each end for movement when you pump the jack and release it. Put some more pressure on the pin and beat on the ears that are stuck. Trying to knock it loose before bending/binding the pin any worse.

After that fails, increase heat, pressure and size of hammer.

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
Hi Jeff, Why not just leave the cylinder can pinned to bucket and try to pull the rod and head out of cylinder you don't need the cylinder can off bucket if there is nothing wrong with it.

Aussie Gold

Be careful putting heat on something that won't come out or is siezed ("frozen" as you USA folks say). Every time you heat something it actually shrinks a couple of thousands of an inch each time it cools and it just gets tighter. Sometimes you only get one chance at it.

In your case there may be "step" developed through wear on the pin and it's created a ridge that stopping from sliding out. Trying takin any hydro pressure off the ram and levering the ram eye around and you might get the ridge to clear the outer ear. Get someone to give a good smack whilst your manouvering the ram but don't peen over the end of the pin all you'll never get it out - use a soft drift.