• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat928F Diesel Fuel Pick-up Tube

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I have a customer with a cat 928-f that is pulling air around the fuel pick-up tube. Cat tells me that is not a replaceable part you have to buy the whole fuel tank. I removed the fuel line and fitting from the metal block that is welded on top of fuel tank. The pick-up tube looks like it is a flared tube that is sealed some way in the meal block. If anyone has any info. on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you steve931:usa

bolt thrower

Occupation
Tractor Fixer
Well Steve, if it was me working on this, and I was positive the problem was the pickup tube inside the tank, I would drain the fuel, then use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, and cut an access hole in the tank large enough to replace the faulty tube. I think these tubes are welded to the block you mentioned. After repairing I'd clean the inside of the tank real good and weld it shut. You should put a few pounds of dry ice in the tank before you start welding for safety.

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Thank's for your time. The fitting that screws into the tank and the fuel line attaches to is fairley large so I tapped it on the bottom to take a 3/16" brake line fitting. I then punched a hole in the stop in the pick-up tube attached a 3/16" brake line (cut to lenght) to the fitting and reassembled Wa-La worked like a new one. Cat says you have to buy a new tank to fix the pick-up because it is not a serviceable part. But so far this is working fine. Again I appreciate your time. (Good Idea You Had) Thanks steve931