• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat to end production in 2010?

Highwood5

Wondering if anyone else heard the rumor that cat was going to end its on highway engine business and concentrate on offroad equipment? Reason that I was told was that the new emmissions are to hard for cat to meet. Hopefully this is all hogwash.

cat320

Charter Member
They can do it it will just cost an arm and maybe one leg if you have to have it fixed out of waranty.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I've been told from some reliable sources that Cat has 2010 motors on the road testing right now, and they are right on track. I also just read on their web site, they will be equipping (unfortunately) all off road equipment with Acert/PDF filter emmissions equipment by 2011. They also said they will not use SCR/urea. I'm pretty disappointed with the emmissions stuff reaching the off road world. I don't know how they figure they are saving the environment by burning so much more fuel. I know my 2005 Acert is horrible on fuel and the 2008's I work with are even worse and unreliable. I will be keeping my 05 for a long long time:Banghead

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Spraying UREA into the exaust system, to react with stuff unleagal to get out in the air.:)

02Dmax

ya, CAT definitely isn't halting their on-road program. Ecspecially since 2 years ago it passed their off-road side in net worth.......hard to believe I know but just think about how many thousands of CAT truck engines are out there. As for the newer ACERT stuff........ I see alot of dealerships selling brand new glider kit trucks with freshly rebuilt 3406E's and early C-15's. They're selling them for about 100k and it's new body and updates with all factory rebuilt mechanicals. I wouldn't go any other way honestly if I was buying a new truck. Have a good looking new body style with the older, more reliable, more powerful, more fuel efficient, more repair friendly engine.

Paystar

Occupation
That's what my friend is doing. He's got his 2006 Western Star/C13 470 Cat tri-axle dump for sale and just ordered a brand new Star glider kit that's set up and wired for the old 400 B model Cat he is building up. He's tired of the rough running, underpowered and grossly fuel thirsty "new electronic engines."
I was at his place and we had the old B model running (before the rebuild) and he set his beer bottle on the valve cover. Didn't even put a ripple in the liquid and I got the video footage to prove it. Try that with a new Cat. Should be a nice truck, all air ride, sleeper and a 19 foot box. And even after building all new engine, wiring, hoses, trans, rears, suspension, it will still be way cheaper than new, and more efficient to operate. If I had a shop, and the money and time, I'd like to do the same.
Anyone got a mint 1988 R model Mack E6-350 they want to trade for a new Paystar?:D

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Cat's problem with the on road engines has more to do with vertical integration at the OEM's. You notice that the truck mfgs. are all building or branding their own engines. Int. is coming out with their MaxxForce, Volvo/Mack are lining up behind their own products, Paccar is branding a ver. of Cummins etc. I wonder how long it'll be before you see Cat build their own trucks to put their engines in? Wouldn't really be that hard for a company that size and with that much money...:cool:
Maybe target Mack's vocational market to start?

02Dmax

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but if anyone out there thinks for a second that Caterpillar doesn't already have an "all cat" truck built..........you're only fooling yourself. No, I haven't seen it and very few people know anything about it but trust me, CAT has a CAT truck, in fact I think they have about a 1/2 dozen. Their just waiting for the correct timing to place something like that on the market.......just like they're waiting for the right time to release their CAT pickup diesel engine......and yes I have seen that one. Plus All those other mfr's have had their own engines forever and Intern. is phasing their's out. All of the 2010 business class Int's will have C7's

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
Cat does have a "CAT" truck. They have bought international and are going to put there own name on it.I heard that their pickup program was the same....It will be kinda different seeing a CAT truck dont you think.
I haved pried into this topic with the cat people for a while now and that is about all I have got out of them.

A Letts

Went to the MATS today. Just about every engine manufacturer was there to tout their new emmissions ideas to meet CARB4. It's more particulate removal, and as mentioned a treated spray. They'll be internal clock watching the service intervals, only on some models it is planned to limit the engine to low power till service is completed.

9420pullpan

i have an inside scoop but i am not at liberty to share just yet. But i would not could Cat out just yet they have a few things in mind.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums A Letts! :drinkup

Paystar

Occupation
Not sure where you get them rumours from, but Cat did not buy International. International did buy the medium duty truck line from GM though. They said they will keep the Int/Gm line separate though.
International is not discontinuing their engines either. In fact they have just entered the big bore 11 and 13 litre class with up to 475 horespower so far. They are partners with MAN from Europe and it is a shared engine platform. Int. calls them the Maxx Force. One thing to dream about is MAN also has a 680 horse V8 in their D28 trucks right now that meets the 2010 requirements. I'd like to order that in a new Paystar.
I can see them getting out of the Ford/Powerstroke deal though after that ugly lawsuit, and now that Ford is developing diesels with Lion.
Cat also has a complete line of automatic transmissions for on road trucks now to compete with Allison, which is another sign they are not getting out of the truck motor business. Why would you go through the expense to develop and produce transmissions if you were going to discontinue your engines?

9420pullpan

Not sure where you get them rumours from, but Cat did not buy International. International did buy the medium duty truck line from GM though. They said they will keep the Int/Gm line separate though.
International is not discontinuing their engines either. In fact they have just entered the big bore 11 and 13 litre class with up to 475 horespower so far. They are partners with MAN from Europe and it is a shared engine platform. Int. calls them the Maxx Force. One thing to dream about is MAN also has a 680 horse V8 in their D28 trucks right now that meets the 2010 requirements. I'd like to order that in a new Paystar.
I can see them getting out of the Ford/Powerstroke deal though after that ugly lawsuit, and now that Ford is developing diesels with Lion.
Cat also has a complete line of automatic transmissions for on road trucks now to compete with Allison, which is another sign they are not getting out of the truck motor business. Why would you go through the expense to develop and produce transmissions if you were going to discontinue your engines?

it actually came down from the top of the todum pole, but i feel if i mention it it will come back to haunt me

Paystar

Occupation
Well, would be cool, but kinda makes you wonder why all the latest new releases like the ProStar and LoneStar were primarily designed and tested with Cummins power, which is the engine all the International salesmen seem to be pushing.:confused: