• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT TH83 Fuel Shutoff Solenoid

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Saw a TH83 reachlift forklift, model year 1998, sn 3RN01350 the other day on a job. The owner was pleased with the versatility to swap attachments: he had an auger, a bucket, and forks & a manbasket for the forks. These features appealed to me as well

The problem perhaps has to do with the fuel injection pump electrical. Upon attempting to start the engine, it will always crank over, but occasionally will not start. If he leaves the key in the 'on' position and removes and reinstalls the spade connector at the top of the fuel injection pump, he can hear the fuel solenoid click. Sometimes he needs to do this once and then attempts to start it and it succeeds. Other occasions it seems a couple of disconnect / reconnect is necessary.

The day we worked on the job with him and his machine there were none of these incidents. The machine started immediately every time and ran clean. I didn't get the hours, but I would say maybe 3 or 4000 although could be less. He bought the machine from a rental yard a couple years ago and it has been reliable.

The condition of the wiring harness was fine with no alterations such as jumpers or splices. The battery and the battery cables looked good as well. He mentioned the fuel injection pump (Stanadyne?) was rebuilt but that work was well before this intermittent event.

He said the solenoid was around $200 and was reluctant to try this 'throw money at it' method.

Intermittent problems are a curious condition. I'll save my two cents for later, thanks in advance!

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I think that machine has a Perkins 1004 engine, had the exact same problem the other day, moved the wires around with no luck, replaced the solenoid and straight away it fired, id say its a solenoid you need!

$22 seems steep for one, il check what they cost here!

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Ohm out your solenoid to check the condition of your internal windings. I replaced one the other day that was intermittent. the bad one ohmed at 1.6 with out power and the new one was at 8.5 ohms.