• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT TH360B wont self prime fuel pump after running dry

oldgrizzly

Hi all, hoping someone has encountered this.
have a 2007 CAT TH360B with 3054E (Perkins) engine. Approx 6000 hrs. Motor in good condition - never given any problems - until now.
The operator reportedly ran it dry. when refilled with diesel we followed the manual instructions.

Turn on ignition for 3 minutes. Then attempt to start. Cranking is in 30 second bursts with several minutes (or longer) cool down time for the starter motor.

After approx 10 - 15 repeats of the "auto-prime" instructions / starting attempts it has not shown the slightest inclination to start. Also no "wet" diesel vapour from the exhaust - so points to no fuel being injected.

When the air bleed screw at the top of the diesel filter is opened - (with the (aftermarket) electric lift pump running) fuel squirts out. There is no air in the filter.

Is there a manual bleeding procedure for these?

Thanks in advance...

Dutchcat

Just bleed it at the injectors, when starting loosen one fuelline until fuel comes out and then retighten it, same on the other three

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

oldgrizzly

Cat th360b

Just bleed it at the injectors, when starting loosen one fuelline until fuel comes out and then retighten it, same on the other three

Thanks will try that. (would have already except that the Operators Manual implies that it self bleeds - and it has always worked before).

Dutchcat

The fuelliftpump Doesnt create enough pressure to open the injectors so air cant escape, and as air is compressible the fuel just Goes back an forth in the line when cranking

oldgrizzly

Cat th360b

And 5 minutes later it was running! Thank you.

I thought initially that there was an electrical problem to the pump. Fortunately just a bit of air stuck in the wrong place. and a bit of stupidity on my part too!

Regards

Delmer

The fuelliftpump Doesnt create enough pressure to open the injectors so air cant escape, and as air is compressible the fuel just Goes back an forth in the line when cranking

My thoughts on the situation also. Usually one line being loose is enough to do it. Maybe bleed the bubble out of the pump head and then it can push the air out of the lines?

Dutchcat

My experience on this is that the engine runs a lot faster on all cylinders when you bleed all lines , Dont think it is nessary to bleed the pumphead on a VE pump

Delmer

Yes, and yes. I meant that one line loose at the injector might be enough to get the head pumping fuel. Explaining why one line seems to let the engine start, even if bleeding all four will make it run on all four faster.

Dutchcat

For this i Like this forum, equipment and engine enthousiasts from all over the world to share your thoughts and ideas with