• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat T55C Forklift NO BRAKES

rickreveen

Hello all,

I have searched everywhere and have come up with nothing on this even at the caterpillar site. So a friend bought a building that came with a Cat T55C forklift. It runs great but it has no brakes. I am an auto mechanic looking to fix it for him and have no idea where to start. The brake pedal actuates a rod that goes into what looks to be a valve body on the top of the transmission? I'm wondering if this is a wet brake setup? In the pictures you can see the rod I'm talking about. I put the tags up as well. If anyone can explain the brake system on this model / how to repair them I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 121

lantraxco

I'm no CAT expert but does this have two brake pedals? Typically the left one is called an inching pedal, the linkage to the tranny control declutches the drive so you can rev the motor to lift quickly. Look around there should be one or two cast iron master cylinders there someplace and the wheel brakes should be pretty similar to old style drum brakes, a wheel cylinder and two shoes per wheel. YMMV

Cmark

Unfortunately, technical info on Cat forklifts is on a separate website that you need a dealer login for, and even then the info is pretty scant.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
I'm no CAT expert but does this have two brake pedals? Typically the left one is called an inching pedal, the linkage to the tranny control declutches the drive so you can rev the motor to lift quickly. Look around there should be one or two cast iron master cylinders there someplace and the wheel brakes should be pretty similar to old style drum brakes, a wheel cylinder and two shoes per wheel. YMMV

Tilt the mast all way back, chock under it with blocks a snug thickness, tilt it all way forward. Wheels will be off floor.
Block under each side of frame, so when tilt cylinders leak down it will not drop.
Start pulling the wheel bolts, remove wheels, and view brakes. Should be able to track wheel cylinder lines back to what
you are looking for, the brake master cylinder. Wheel cylinders and master cylinder or kits from NAPA. Get shoes relined,
They will have mfg numbers on the shoes. Broken springs can be visually/color matched at NAPA.
Up until a few years ago NAPA had these listed in the parts books under Caterpillar of Towmotor.

If shoes have good thickness, but greasy... Clean with paint thinner, let dry, then burn with a torch.
Luck...

Last edited:

rickreveen

Thanks to all for the help and info. Especially the part numbers for an easy source to get them. Now I can take a second look at it and sort it out. I'm sure I will be back with more questions but this will get the ball rolling in the right direction for sure.

Cheers

rickreveen

I somehow missed this picture in my initial post. I'm not sure it is needed but just in case here it is.

IMG_2578.jpg

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Nice little truck.. Full Free Lift Triple stage mast, wide drive axle, side shift with a hose reel.
If you've seen one T-model, you have seen all T-30,35,40,45,50,55,T60S.
Was heart of Cats cushion tire line in its era.