• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat overcharging

Old Growth

Dozer overcharging.
We have a 1972 D4D Cat that is a Mitsubishi/Japan made tractor. It has Mitsubishi electrical/alt/gen on it.

While running it today the ampmeter was higher than usually and once I shut her down, I noticed the finals on both sides were wet. After better inspection, I determined that the batteries were boiling and weeping down onto the finals.

Any pointers on what I should be looking for or looking at first?

Thanks

Vetech63

It would be nice to get a voltage measurement to see what your current charge rate actually is.

Delmer

12 or 24V? get the voltage measurement at the batteries before you start, then at the alternator with the key on, engine off. Then at the alternator with engine on. All the terminals on the alternator. If it's 24V, get each battery's voltage also.