• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat key switch

1965IHdiesel

Hello!
I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, I haven't been on here for a while.

I'm wondering if anyone has a part number for a Caterpillar key switch with 4 positions? Glowplug, Off, On, Start ? I think that would be 4 positions?
I know they make one, just can't find one on the current Cat equipment I have, to get a part number for it.

I have some older non-Cat equipment that I need to put new key switches on, and would like to start replacing them with a Cat key switch so that I don't have to keep track of a bunch of different keys.

I don't care if the switch has screw lugs on the back or wires coming out to a plug, I'll have to customize the machine side anyway.

Thanks in advance!!!

ahart

A 255-2752 switch gp is an ignition that has a position to the left that is used for forced shutdown but should be able to be used to activate glow plugs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What model machine is this for.?
If I'm not mistaken it was a subject that came up a while back regarding the glow plug activation on a mini excavator.

EDIT: Here you go. Post #21 on Page 2. Part Number 373-9762. The switch has positions for OFF, ON, GLOW, & START. It might pay you to read the complete thread just to make sure it's what you are looking for. To install it also requires a 593-2405 Insert, or you can buy both together as a 593-2387 Switch Kit.

EDIT#2: I checked. It uses a standard 5P-8500 Cat key.

Last edited:

ahart

I got that part number from an RKB 336F machine. Probably the same in a 323F, 349F, etc. I don’t think I’ve been around any of the little mini machines that have a manually activated glow plug circuit, the Perkins line up is all ECM controlled. I would guess the GB6 or MG5 D6N machines would also use that same key switch I posted as they have a forced shut down feature as well. I would guess it will all come down to price point.