• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat-JLG Partnership

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Last edited:

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
I have experience on all three machines, so heres my $0.02.

I drove a JLG before they purchased Gradall and from my own experience I thought the machine was a POS :cussing . Way too many bells and whistles that didnt work, if your going to put a windshield on a forkilft at least have a windshield wiper that works. Not fun opperating with your head out the side window, and who the hell need a door on a forklift? :beatsme Not to mention a heater that blows cold air, turn signals, way to many guages. Maybe I am just used the the Southern California job site with 80 worktrucks on the road and people everywhere but I dont need to know RPM, torqe converter temp, speed, ect. They also have a european feel to them, I cant explaine it but just didnt feel right.

The Catipillars are similar to the old JLG machines as they are 4-way steering and "cushy" but have less needless items on them. They also are more nimble and more of a everyday work machine instead of a rental.

Both dont even compare to the Gradall though. The Gradall (at least my 544D-10) is the king of the construction site. Its as reliable as a battle ship, and is the machine that I judge all others by. Our company owns 34 of them and actually quit buying them when JLG bought gradall in the late '90's. The new JLG/Gradall machines are alittle weak in the lift capacity department but are more opperator friendly (I cant get over the plastic used throughout).

Hopefully the joint Cat/JLG machine will follow the saying "whats old is new again" and produce a machine that can handle anything that is thrown at it without all the bells and whistles, If I wanted a cup holder I would buy a BMW :drinkup

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Interesting... how has (or has) your company reacted to the alliance? Is it taking the stance of, "Good, now we can have our Cat dealer supply THs as well," or is it still not quite liking the JLG-Gradall platform?

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
Well considering JLG owns Sky-Trak, Gradall and Lull they have a monopoly on the telehandler market. We just havent purchased any new machines since JLG started changing the gradalls (for the worse IMO).

We are not going to change to another brand like Cat, Lull or Sky-Trak because we have alot invested in parts and engines, not to mention the retraining of opperators. Going from a rear wheel steer to a 4 wheel steer would not be an easy change for us.

Just my $0.02

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
and now a truck company owns them all. They still have a CAT motor.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Speedpup! :drinkup

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Thanks:) Countryboy! I have 5 Lulls, 3 844's 1985, 1985, 1987, 1 1044B 1990. and one 1966 Lull. Now with all this computer crap I'll keep them because I can fix them and know every square inch of the machines after having them since new. Saw a JLG 42' at Lime Rock which looked cool. Being a mason I need the transverse.