• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT J450 and J460 teeth will interchange, right?

Ct Farmer

Have a CAT bucket calling for J460 teeth but I can get a killer deal on a stack of surplus J450 teeth a few hours away.
From what I can see all places list these as the same size but is there an difference and why did they have 2 series?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The difference between J450 and J460 is NOT in the size of the adapter (4.5" vs 4.6" as you might think) but in the retention "mechanism", specifically the pin.
The J450 system uses a 19mm diameter pin into a 21mm diameter hole in the adapter.
The J460 system uses a 23.8mm diameter pin into a 25mm diameter hole in the adapter.
Also the holes in the bucket teeth for the pins are a correspondingly smaller size on the J450 vs the J460.

So the pins you use to retain your current J460 teeth will most likely be too big to fit through the holes in the J450 teeth and I have no idea how you could enlarge those holes considering the material that the tips are made from.

Everything now uses J460, that's probably why there is such a deal on the J450 teeth.

Ct Farmer

The difference between J450 and J460 is NOT in the size of the adapter (4.5" vs 4.6" as you might think) but in the retention "mechanism", specifically the pin.
The J450 system uses a 19mm diameter pin into a 21mm diameter hole in the adapter.
The J460 system uses a 23.8mm diameter pin into a 25mm diameter hole in the adapter.
Also the holes in the bucket teeth for the pins are a correspondingly smaller size on the J450 vs the J460.

So the pins you use to retain your current J460 teeth will most likely be too big to fit through the holes in the J450 teeth and I have no idea how you could enlarge those holes considering the material that the tips are made from.

Everything now uses J460, that's probably why there is such a deal on the J450 teeth.

Thanks! That is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find out before I went to get them. As always your information is greatly appreciated.

Ct Farmer

Could you get hold of a couple of the J450 teeth and try opening up the holes to J460 size with something like a Dremel.?
I could put them on the milling machine and run a carbide or ceramic tool through them. Carbide burr ball in an air die grinder might work too and be faster. Going to mess with an old one just to see how hard it really is. Just need to weight the time vs savings.