• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat IT28B Low Power, Hydraulic Related

cjohnsen

I’ve got a Cat IT28B (serial 1HF00904) that is having issues. It worked perfectly fine yesterday. Today I started it up and the first thing I noticed is it seemed like it was struggling to stay running. It was like there was a high load on it and it was barley keeping itself from stalling. I went to move it and it couldn’t get out of its own way. When I would give it throttle to try and move it it would hardly rev up at all and barely move at all. I the best way I can describe it is it was like someone (super human strength) was holding the crank pulley and not letting the engine do anything.

I played around with it and figured out if I raise/lower the boom or tilt/tip the bucket while I tried to drive it it would work fine. As soon as I would stop using the hydraulics it would start doing the issues I described above.

Since the engine is mated directly to the hydraulic pump I’m guessing there is a blockage somewhere so the hydraulic pump is trying to pump fluid and it’s not going anywhere. When I operate the hydraulics it acts like a relief valve and the power comes back because the engine isn’t struggling to run the hydraulic pump against a blockage? Any ideas?

cjohnsen

I would feel pretty dumb if somehow I hit the auxiliary lever and left it there. I’ll check that in the morning but I know the sound it makes when the lever is engaged (when I change to different attachments) and I don’t remember hearing that sound