• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT IT18B ( 1990 ) AIR VALVE QUESTION

TEX32

Occupation
Owner, Technician @ INTEGRITY HEAVY REPAIR INC.
Afternoon boys. Recently purchased an IT18B wheel loader to flip. A little elbow grease and some repairs...

Anywho, I have a question regarding an air valve located in the RH corner front of the operator compartment. Just forward of the joystick tower. I do NOT have an operators manual for this unit, and I can't seem to figure out what this control is for.

I "believe" that it "might" be for a transmission function, but I am unsure to be honest. The sticker has been previously half torn off. This is a flapper air valve, much like a diff lock valve on a highway truck.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Tex

lantraxco

Not the quick coupler switch is it? I've forgotten everything I ever knew about those machines.....

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Anywho, I have a question regarding an air valve located in the RH corner front of the operator compartment. Just forward of the joystick tower. I do NOT have an operators manual for this unit, and I can't seem to figure out what this control is for.

I "believe" that it "might" be for a transmission function, but I am unsure to be honest. The sticker has been previously half torn off. This is a flapper air valve, much like a diff lock valve on a highway truck.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Tex
Does it look like this..?

upload_2021-2-10_23-30-49.png

TEX32

Occupation
Nige, you beautiful man! Been a while. How are you?

Yes, just like that. Is it a neutralizer? And if so, why would you require this function, when the machine has a neutralizer pedal? ( towing? )

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Good thanks Tex. Yourself.?

Your switch is a disconnect for the transmission neutralizer function on the left pedal.
As you know usually the only difference between the left & right brake pedals is that the left one also disconnects the transmission - the neutralizer function.

This switch is a way of being able to have the left pedal behave exactly the same as the right one (i.e. the transmission is not neutralized when you press it). For an IT the ability to "inch" a load into position is pretty useful. With this system the right-foot throttle pedal can be used with the left pedal functioning as purely a brake so that the operator doesn't have to try to squeeze both his Size 14's to the right side of the steerting column.

I dunno if the switch in your machine is algined side-to-side or fore-and-aft.
If it is side-to-side, the neutralizer should be disconnected when the switch lever is facing towards the operator.
If it is fore-and-aft, the neutralizer should be disconnected when the switch lever is facing towards the windshield.

I think the decal should look like this ........... can't find a Part Number for it anywhere.

upload_2021-2-11_14-33-34.png

Attachments

• 9V-8926.pdf
    59 KB · Views: 1

TEX32

Occupation
Hey, no foolin. PM me your address and I'll call a local "1-800-Dial-A-Beer" company and have them drop off a 6 pack and a pizza pie to you!