• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat H Series Scrapers

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
Hey I was just curious and wondering if anybody has had any seat time on the new H series scrapers. I see on the Cat website that 20 series G models are now part of Cat's non-current line up. There are quite a few differences that I see with these new models, such as a smaller displacement engine in the front, new cab with a completely different layout, plastic fenders, fuel tank, different bowl, lift cylinder arrangement, etc. Just wondering what some operators think of them. For some reason I'm still content running the 627F...

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
i got in one at the cat dealer, the visibility out of the front was cool, the way everything in the cab was shifted to the right to make room for the long window in the front, visibility on the right side didnt seem very good, i think u are supposed to use the camera for that side though, not being very fond of 27s i still would love to get a load or two with one, not very much help -sorry

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
too rough riding for me, really handy machines in the right applications

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
I hear ya, the 657's were quite a bit smoother than some of those 27's I have been on, but the job I'm at now is very soft and that 27's are having problems staying on top. Oh well, lots of padding out I guess! I never have operated any of the thirty series scrapers though.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
ive run 631, 41, 51, 27, but mostly 37s, about 2 months ago some contractors that work at the mine i work at let me run a 57 e, the first time ive ever run a 57, it was only for a hour but i finaly got to run 1

engi

ive run 631, 41, 51, 27, but mostly 37s, about 2 months ago some contractors that work at the mine i work at let me run a 57 e, the first time ive ever run a 57, it was only for a hour but i finaly got to run 1

I ran augered and push-pull 57's for years...I still think a 31 has the best ride of the bunch.

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
I'm going to have try 'em out one day. I thought the 51's and 57E's rode like a Cadillac compared to the 21's and 27's. I suppose that is just because of the sheer mass though. The 27F I'm currently in is about the roughest riding buggy I've ever been in, sometimes it even makes you double check to see if your cushion is even on, and it is!

engi

I'm going to have try 'em out one day. I thought the 51's and 57E's rode like a Cadillac compared to the 21's and 27's. I suppose that is just because of the sheer mass though. The 27F I'm currently in is about the roughest riding buggy I've ever been in, sometimes it even makes you double check to see if your cushion is even on, and it is!

The mass works against you...trying to keep a haulroad together when 57's are beating it up is really tough. You have to put some effort into a good running surface, and its tough in a roadbuilding or subdivision environment where the workface and fill zone is constantly moving.

By the time the haul road is perfect the haul is usually finished.

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
That makes perfect sense, the only time I have ran them is during the winter and the frost and frozen ground definitely would have helped out keeping them from punching out. I know it can sometimes be a royal pain just maintaining a haul road with just a couple of the little ones. I can only imagine what it would be like running them in a subdivision with various stakes surrounding you and tight quarters!

buckfever

I see what 25 and 35 ton haul trucks do to a haulroad and couldn't think of what the road mantianance would need to be for a 57 to move around quickly.

vapor300

What year is the F you are running buckshot? Ive ran a newer model F right before the G's came out nd they rode ok, but they said the very early series F was misreable, company we worked for replaced the seats in there F's with seats from an E series 27. If you park a 27E and a 27F up against each other you will see that the F sits higher then the E dont know if that has anything to do with it?

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
What year is the F you are running buckshot? Ive ran a newer model F right before the G's came out nd they rode ok, but they said the very early series F was misreable, company we worked for replaced the seats in there F's with seats from an E series 27. If you park a 27E and a 27F up against each other you will see that the F sits higher then the E dont know if that has anything to do with it?

The E's are definitely different, they ride pretty nice actually. The F is a 1997 believe. Both the the E's on site and the G's ride quite a bit smoother. I don't know if it is a combination of the air ride site, and where the seat is mounted that make a difference. I've talked with a few Cat mechanics and they say it has to do with where the seat is actually mounted that makes 'em rough riding. This was supposedly fixed later on. The F on a whole actually seems like a bit of a Cat developmental model for the G series. There are quite bit of things that debuted on the F and were refined with the G or even downright removed for the G. For example the stupid air throttle on both the front and back. Why they, (Cat), thought it was smart to put an air throttle on the front engine on the F is beyond me. It is a bear cat to get started and warmed up in sub zero temperatures during the winter. The Cab structure is also the same between the F and the G besides some changes.

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
Oh, forgot to mention earlier. The F at work does not have the push block and bail on the front. This may make a difference as well. Not that it had with any of the other 27's though!:D

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Last edited:

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator

Thanks for the links alan627b. Who knows about the those TV monitors later on, CD players sure didn't have much luck for a working future in scrapers! But after another +30 degree day (about 90 Fahrenheit) in an E series cab all day, all I can say is I hope the A/C in the large glass cab on the H's is up to snuff for the job!

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I am used to 215 AC... 2 windows down at 15 mph.. be nice to run something a little nicer for a change.. like the brand new G I got to run in Arizona years ago. But right now.. I'd just like to be running something... period. Recovering economy my @ss... sure isn't recovering very welll around here!
Oh well...
I hope Cat doesn't give up their day job to start making rock videos.. they need better music. Somebody re-edit it and put "Fuel" by Metallica on the soundtrack.. then they might have something!
Alan

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
Hahaha. 215 A/C, nice I will have to remember that. I second the "Fuel" by Metallica, now that is a buggy song! I hear you, it can be a struggle to sometimes find work. Luckily for me, I am usually guaranteed at least for the summer. The winter on the other hand, that can sometimes be a different story. Work is still tough to come by in Nebraska then? Do any of the county's use scraper's for road rebuilding?

jozzie2000

Thanks for the links alan627b. Who knows about the those TV monitors later on, CD players sure didn't have much luck for a working future in scrapers! But after another +30 degree day (about 90 Fahrenheit) in an E series cab all day, all I can say is I hope the A/C in the large glass cab on the H's is up to snuff for the job!

The TV monitors do seem a bit gimmicky, but they don't come as standard equipment on the machines. Just one of the many frills that you can select (select I.E. get bent over) on. CD players never really had a chance on a machine with so much vibration and new cd players being what they were. The reason for that large glass pane is so more of the bail is visible when push/pulling, which makes for nice shiney straight bumpers on your nice shiney new machine, or that is the idea anyway :)