• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat excavator 320 b

naheed

hi guys,

i have a cat 320b made in japan. lately ive noticed the hydraulic functions have slightly slowed down and so has the machines power.
i did a full engine service which has made the engine smoother and i dont feel it lagging in power! i also changed all 3 hydraulic filters but still no difference in the speed and hydraulic power.was wondering if the pump flow could be increased to get more speed and power out of it?
would be great if someone could guide me through if this can be done.
cheers

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
May just need a throttle calibration. At high idle is the lever hitting the stop? Have seen cables fray and jam nuts come loose on these.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Always make sure the throttle is hitting full rpm. You can also recalibrate the prv or pump control solenoid. I find the 320s need a little tweak as they age.

naheed

yes throttle is hitting full rpm till stop lever! engine speed more than enough. ive worked in hitachis and daewoo but never cats. recalibrate prv(meaning main relief valve?)and pump control solenoid is that the one with 3 wires ontop of the pump?how is that done would really appreciate the procedure. thanks guys

Mobiltech

Occupation
Recalibration is done through the dash monitor in service mode. The prv is a solenoid on the pilot manifold near the little round bulb thing ( accumulator) down below the main pumps.
Start-Up Of The Service Mode

Illustration 2 g00662936
Electronic Monitor Panel

(2) Character display

(22) Travel alarm cancel switch

(23) Boom priority mode switch

(24) Swing priority mode switch

(25) Fine control mode switch

(26) User mode switch

Note: The engine can be running or the engine can be stopped, when the "Service Mode" is started. When the engine is stopped, the starter switch must be in the ON position. You should know the procedure to start up the "Service Mode" in advance.

The following switches should be depressed and held for 2 seconds or more simultaneously: travel alarm cancel switch (22), fine control mode switch (25) and user mode switch (26) .
The time display and the dial display on the character display (2) will change to a "0" and a "0". The left character position will flash.
You need to enter the following security code: OE 32 3A.
Note: The security code must be entered within 10 seconds after the first procedure (1). Otherwise, the time display will return. You should learn the procedure of entering the security code in advance.

The procedure to input information is listed:
The figure that is blinking on the character display (2) can be changed. In order to change the figure, you should depress the boom priority mode switch (23) or the swing priority mode switch (24).
The figure that is blinking increases (Boom priority mode switch (23) )
The figure that is blinking decreases (Swing priority mode switch (24) )
The character position that is blinking can be shifted by depressing the fine control mode switch (25) or the user mode switch (26).

The character position that is blinking shifts to the right (Fine control mode switch (25) ).
The character position that is blinking shifts to the left (User mode switch (26) ).
After you enter the security code, the service mode is activated by depressing and holding the following switches for 2 seconds or greater: travel alarm cancel switch (22), fine control mode switch (25) and user mode switch (26). The service mode is automatically activated 10 seconds after the security code is entered.
Now, the "Service Mode" is activated and the character display (2) will display "10" on the left two character positions and "1" on the right character position.

Changing The Service Mode

The boom priority mode switch (23) or the swing priority mode switch (24) is pressed in order to change the figures that are blinking on character display (2) .
The figure that is blinking increases (Boom priority mode switch (23) )
The figure that is blinking decreases (Swing priority mode switch (24) )
The position that is blinking on the character display (2) can be shifted by depressing the fine control mode switch (25) and the user mode switch (26) .
The position that is blinking shifts to the right (Fine control mode switch (25) )
The position that is blinking shifts to the left (Swing priority mode switch (24) )
Note: Refer to the chart of Service Codes for selecting the functions for the "Service Mode".

Table 1
Service Code Function
10 Automatic Travel Speed Change
11 Low Temperature Control
12 Engine Speed
13 Engine Coolant Temperature
14 Hydraulic Oil Temperature
16 Digital Input
17 Software Version
18 Real Time Error Code
19 Error Log
1a Engine Speed Dial Setting Check
1b Model Name and Engine Type
1c Real Time Error Code (ATT)
1d Error Log (ATT)
20 Power Shift Pressure Command Signal
21 Displays Higher Delivery Pressure Of Main Pumps
60 Proportional Reducing Valve Sweep Test
61 Governor Actuator Sweep Test
62 ON/OFF Test Of Digital Output
66 Fixed Power Shift Pressure
67 Engine Speed Change
70 Governor Actuator Calibration
71 Proportional Reducing Valve Calibration
80 Setting Of Hydraulic Oil Type Mineral Or Biological
81 Setting Of AEC Speed
82 Setting Of AEC Delay Time
83 Setting Of Memory Mode
84 Setting Of Reduced Horsepower For Attachment Pump
85 Setting Of Engine Speed For Low Idle Switch
86 Setting Of Pump Quantity For Hammer Mode
87 Setting Of Hammer Circuit Pressure
88 Setting Of Pump Flow For Hammer Mode
8a Setting Of Power Offset For Attachment Pump
8b Change Of Preset Conditions Of Main Pump Output
8c Change Of Upper Limits Of Preset Conditions Of Main Pump Output (Such As Power Mode Or Engine Speed At Dial Position 10)

Procedure To Stop The Service Mode

Note: One of the following two methods should be used.

Turn the starter switch to the OFF position.
The following switches should be depressed and held simultaneously for 2 second or more:
(22) Travel alarm cancel switch

(25) Fine control mode switch

(26) User mode switch

The service mode has been stopped, if the character display shows the position of the engine speed dial on the right two character positions and the time is shown on the left four character positions.

Last edited:

Mobiltech

Occupation
Sorry the pictures didn't come through.
Here is the calibration procedure. It is best to calibrate lower than spec for better performance. Set high side about 340 and low at 60
This function is used to calibrate the proportional reducing valve. This calibration must be performed when the proportional reducing valve or the controller is replaced.

Note: For proper operation of this function, the engine must be running with the engine speed dial switch in position 10 and the hydraulic oil must be at approximately 50 °C (122 °F).

Attach a 4900 kPa (711 psi) pressure gauge to the power shift pressure port of the main pump.
Place the backup switch in the AUT position.
Activate the service mode in order to calibrate the proportional reducing valve.
Enter service code 71.
First, display (1) indicates the calibration point. "H" is displayed for the high pressure point and "L" is displayed for the low pressure point. The value of the correction is the last digit that is displayed.

The calibration is performed at the following two points:

High pressure point 2500 kPa (363 psi)
Low pressure point 500 kPa (73 psi)
Perform the following operations in order to calibrate the low pressure point and the high pressure point.
Depress fine control mode switch (4) in order to shift the blinking character. Position the blinking character to the third position from the right.
Depress boom priority mode switch (2) in order to shift the calibration point. Shift to the high pressure point. "71H0".
Depress swing priority mode switch (3) in order to shift the calibration point. Shift to the high pressure point. "71L0".
Depress fine control mode switch (4) in order to shift the position of the character that is blinking. Shift the position of the character that is blinking to the position to the right.
Depress boom priority mode switch (2) or swing priority mode switch (3) in order to locate the point that provides the most adequate pressure gauge reading.
When boom priority mode switch (2) is depressed, the power shift pressure will INCREASE by 1 step.
When swing priority mode switch (3) is depressed, the power shift pressure will DECREASE by 1 step.
Note: The power shift pressure changes approximately 9 kPa (1.3 psi) per step.

Set the increments of the step for the power shift pressure.
Depress travel alarm cancel switch (6) in order to set the new values.
When the new value is set, the position of the blinking character does not change. The third position from the right flashes "H" to "L".

naheed

wow ok i didnt know pressure settings could be done from the dash monitor.i will have a try with it soon as its hired out for now and let you guys know how it went! does anyone have a technical manual for this machine?

naheed

@ mobiltech i got some pics on to make sure we are on the same page for the recalibration.thanks

Mobiltech

Occupation
It would be good to know the serial number.
The top picture is the monitor . When viewed in the machine the bottom right button is #22 in the description and #24,25,26,27 go down the left side from top to bottom.
The second picture is the pilot manifold where the prv solenoid is located.the prv is the solenoid closest to the round accumulator on the right.

If you get into the service mode you can monitor engine rpm and prv pressure that the ECM is seeing. I usually go into prv calibrate mode and set both levels a little lower without even hooking up a gauge just to see if it loads the engine more and performs a little better. Don't go too far though . Too much engine lug is no good .
It takes some time to learn how to set these machines properly in the field without a flow meter . I can't give you everything you need to know in a few posts.

Last edited:

naheed

@mobiltech so sorry for late reply but your instructions were very helpful, it took me some time to figure how to do it done but i managed!
found setting the pressure at 320 was good enough not to load engine and give me good power and speed.
thanks again!

Rhyswelly

Always make sure the throttle is hitting full rpm. You can also recalibrate the prv or pump control solenoid. I find the 320s need a little tweak as they age.
Hi Mobiltech
New to this, I have a cat 311cu, it's stalling under load so got new prv. Going to install tomorrow but bit concerned as I'm not sure how to calibrate as I've not got a digital dash?