• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D9G 66A frozen motor

redline808

I have an old CAT D9G 66A. The engine is frozen, water got in and has stuck the rings to the cylinder walls. Does anyone know where I could find a breaker bar that fits into the pony motor hole. The ring gear is angle cut. I know there is a breaker bar for the straight cut ring gear, but how about my angle cut gear. I have already tried making a T-bar to bolt onto the front damper, that did not work, I have also tried to rock the ring gear through the timing hole, that did not work. I really don't want to drop the pan or pull the heads. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Last edited:

bill onthehill

Pull the injectors out and spray pb blaster or liquid wrench in each cylinder to start working on the rust. You may be able to wrap a large strap wrench for big pipe around the front pulley and turn it. I have one with a chain strap that goes to 6 inch pipe.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
MOLY SLIP!!! iron working fuild is the best thing to spray down the holes. Now is this D9G a reliable work horse? or is just something you tinker with. Because If i was in your shoes, i would be taking the heads off and cleaning it all up properly. I would probably go as far as pulling the piston and liners right out of it if it was my iron. If my memory serves me correct its about 400 bucks a hole for aftermarket piston and liner assembly. I had a stuck D8H once, and i just took an old starter I had in the shop and made a big mean wrench out of the gear..... only to break it. so I then had a gear cut on the water jet in town out of stainless steel, that did the trick. But after a good day of working the cat after we got it all running again, it had so much blow by that we had to do the piston and liners in that next winter. I guess the rust was embedded so badly into the rings it just wore them off.

Iron Horse

If your sure this thing is going to run again , and that the rings are not corroded into the ring lands you could try this wacky idea . Squirt some of the fluid allready mentioned into all the cylinders . Find a cylinder that the piston is halfway up/down . Remove the pushrods so the valves on that cylinder cannot open . Get an old injector and adapt a grease nipple/zerk into the injector line thread and cap the return . You may need to grind the nozzle to open the hole and also remove the guts . Now hook up an air grease gun and start pumping , it may take a couple of pounds of grease to fill the void . A 6" ? piston with XXXX thousand pounds of pressure on it with the crank pin at 3/9 o'clock ???????? If that does'nt shift it , nothing will . If this works i want full copywrite on the idea ,,,,i'll be rich .:tong

hicrop10

Occupation
Contractor(earthmover)
The stuff that I would spary down in the cly., would be KROIL Oil.you can look it up on the internet,it works great.I restore antique Cat tractors and have used it before to free up motors.Good luck.Mike Durkin

redline808

At this point I would like to just get it free, possibly running and sell it. I have tried Kroil in it already. I just need some way to turn the engine over. The grease idea sound good, how would I get all that grease out after?

Anyone want a trip to Hawaii to get my tractor going.......lol.

Iron Horse

Just remove the injector , lay some rags around the hole and bar the engine over so the piston comes back up .

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
hook it up to another machine and pull it around the yard t start it with out using the pony motor dont put it in reverse

BIG D

frozen engine

this tractor is torque converter drive so pulling isnt a option. The king of obsolete on his web site showed his method of freeing a frozen engine a long bar welded to a startter armature. what ever works. to be honest in severe cases its almost impossible too free up. in one instance we removed the heads shoved the tractor umder a cement beam and put a 20 ton jack spaced on top of a piston and a steel post above so we could use the force of the jack too push down on the piston this did free it up but over haul was needed due too sleeve pitting thanks the Big D

greeniron

redline808 , just how long do you think this water has been inside this motor
and when was it run last ???? is it only one pot or all pots full of water ???
has it been full enough to rust valve stems ????

this determins the action taken

cowdogteamroper

hook it up to another machine and pull it around the yard t start it with out using the pony motor dont put it in reverse
Bad idea also it take that sudden force you are screwed if the engine breaks and possible of transmisson damage also. :pointhead:bash

I had filled all cylinders with greese a few times it had worked alite bit. all it goes is help lubicate the cylinders when trying to get it cranking to start but i cannot member how many time that the heads and the exhast cought fire. It doesnt do much damage but makes lots of stuff go black. and shorten the heads and valves life also.

The pb rust removed wont work to good it will eat the pistions rings up bad. try sprayin that stuff in a cup and see what happesn.

To save the starter time lenghts I had completely drained the fuel and put fresh fuel and fill up fuel filter up with diesel additive and 1/4 cup of gasoline and cleaned the injectors out to.

Make sure your lil poney can run in good shape before you try to crank the fat lady up and as you crank go slow and do not do any sudden jerks.
There is a possibly of stuff breaking in there so go slow so it can feel the pressure and the rust will break evently and the parts to be okay. just play with the clutch go in and out little a bit and slow.

Most of these stuff are bad ideas. :badideaI have tried alot of those methods. But on the experine i had on starting old motors that are locked up or frozen etc. was try to move the engine by hand. get a big wench and try to move the cranchshaft, water pump, annthing that is connected to the crankshaft drive. Make sure that if it got a turbo make that fan spin very nice with out it sticky or not smooth. make it smooth as possible and if you spin it it shound spin on it own for bout 15 seconds. make sure that thery is no water forgian materials in the engine at all. I would drain old fuel, antifreeze oil etc. and refill it back up with fresh materials. and follow those stuff I have said. Good Luck,:D:D :usa:drinkup

Iron Horse

Ive got to make some notes so i don't forget the advice of cowdogteamroper .

1/ Don't tow start a Powershift machine cause the engine can break .

2/ The old , fill the cylinder with grease trick does not work because the heads and Turbo will catch fire . (Would that mean the engine is now unstuck and running ?)

3/ Piston rings are made of the same stuff that cups are made of and PB Blaster will eat them away .

4/ Most of these are bad ideas , ive tried most of them .

5/ Get a big wench on the water pump and turn over the seized engine :eek:.

cowdogteamroper

Iron Horse- the grase trick part yes the engine is unstuck and running. But How ever it you get it unstuck and try to start it with some of the grease left in it and once it get hot enough you got a fire. through the whole exhast and intake systmes.\

the water pump wench part is to make sure the water pump is not locked up. So that you will have cooling sytem working if started to prevent a melt down.

The pistion rings are not made out the same thing as cups are. it just an example what they will do.

any questions?

Last edited:

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
I was talking to my dad today about this thread, especially the grease in the bore trick. He pointed out that you can also fill the bore with a good heavy oil then top it off with the grease so you don't have to pump all that grease in there. Yeah, PB, Kroil, Acetone and ATF is a good thing too. I got this link off another site and it's some interesting info.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350800

Iron Horse

6/ Flames can get from the combustion chambers and fill the whole intake system with fire . Hmm , must only be the engines that don't have inlet valves to prevent it .

7/ Piston rings are'nt made of cup material , it was only an example .

I can see now what PB Blaster would do to Chrome Moly rings if it does ????? to cups .:cool2

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
sometimes if i have not performed a task for a while and i am feeling a bit rusty i have a shot of pb blaster, it unrusts me and so far has not hurt my cup, i reckon it;s great stuff..

Last edited:

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Iron Horse and Australian pete,

PB will eat Styrofoam and CERTAIN types of plastic(like what they build rotating caution lights out of), but i'm pretty sure the rings are safe.;) Not only that but hey you're gonna want to start this machine right up after it's been sitting for who knows how long and run it first time out of the barn until it gets hot enough to either overheat or light grease on fire.:rolleyes: I don't know if it was me, I'd use what ever tricks I could to get the engine free and once it's moving:

1: If I had put the grease and or oil in the bore I would be leaving the injector out until I had turned the engine over by hand until I had gotten as much out as possible. Then put some diesel down the hole and rinsed out the grease as much as possible.

2: If people had thought that the PB would harm anything in the engine they would not have suggested using it at all. PB is nice stuff but now there is other products out there that do the job better.

3: Redline, There's a lot of people on here with A LOT of experience and they have some durn good ideas of how to work on equipment. Listen to them they'll get you a long ways. There's others on here who think they're experienced and can lead you a long way in the wrong direction. It'll be up to you to sort them out and figure who to listen too.

Just :my2c