• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT d8k with a rome plow

fiat41b

Can any of you tell us about your experience using a 8k or a similar size crawler with the Rome kg plow
Production acres per hr
a guy told me his d7 and kg around 4 acres a day? 8 to 10 hrs
I don't have one yet so far just been using d9h and a Chicot v blade, it is a beast 10 acres a day or more and that's a lot of backing up JUST TOO MUCH risk for trouble with 60 to 80 ft trees for long second gear non stop runs, every now and then there will be areas not so dense with shorter trees other wise its a very thick jungle
The trees pine, red oak, popular, what ever Tenn. has its got. They range in size from a dense population of 5 to 15" then a mild blend of 16 to 36" lots of stumps over 36" as it was logged.
Call that, they cherry picked the timber
I do really like the v blade but it makes a lot of widow makers as it cast to both sides.
I did run a 9h not far away that had a kg but it was dull I hit a red oak and all it did was spin me around that site was nothing but stumps no dangerous trees to harm you or your machine.

Last edited:

fiat41b

wow
I guess you cant beat a dead horse
guess the 8k must have been a odd duck with a kg
I have found out from long talks on the phone with others
you either love it or hate it
its definitely a love hate relationship

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There is a fellow on the ACMOC site that goes by Rome/KG. Ask your question to him. He makes a living with a KG blade on a D7. I've seen video of him taking out a huge stump shearing into pieces and leaving no hole and no dirt on the stump pieces. It does not take him long either.

James K

I don’t know about using a Rome blade specifically but I run a Savannah blade and a Savannah plow on my D6T LGP and I shear between .75-1.5 acres/hr when I’m stuck shearing and about 2.5-4 acres/hr when I’m plowing.