• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D7F Feedback/Advise

LCA078

For the military version, it's 133 inches as measured on mine and as stated in the military TM (technical manual).

Note the mention of a D333 engine so I would assume it's quite possible the early ones where shipped to the military with that engine or the military would not have put in their manual. That's a new bit of info for me on these things...

Attachments

• D7F specs from TM.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 6

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For the military version, it's 133 inches as measured on mine and as stated in the military TM (technical manual).

Note the mention of a D333 engine so I would assume it's quite possible the early ones where shipped to the military with that engine or the military would not have put in their manual. That's a new bit of info for me on these things...
Because the military 61G tractor corresponds to a commercial 94N machine with a Serial Number below 5191 they all would have been originally supplied by Caterpillar ftted with a D333C engine. Only the tractors that went through the SLEP program would have been upgraded to the later model 3006 engine with direct injection, the same engine model that was fitted ex-factory to the 94N tractors from machine 94N5660 onwards.

TBH I am not 100% sure if the 3306 engine installed in the 94N tractor from 5660 onwards originally had precombustion chambers and then later changed to a direct injection system. I suspect it did, therefore I have no idea at what 94N S/N the direct injection engine was introduced.

EDIT: It appears as though the 3306 engine (S/N prefix 03N) fitted in D7F tractors from 94N5660 onwards was NEVER offered ex-factory with direct injection. As originally built, all engines had precombustion chamber injection systems.

The direct-injection engine installed as part of the SLEP upgrade programme on 61G military D7F tractors has a S/N prefix of 6NC. This was the same S/N prefix of 3306 engine that was installed in later model D7G tractors first built in the early/mid-1980s. The difference is that the direct-injection 6NC engine for SLEP was built to a slightly different arrangement to the D7G one so that it could be installed in a military 61G D7F tractor.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Thanks for the info sir! Preliminary quote I got from my cousin. Not sure what the permit costs, but that doesn't seem too bad.

Attachments

• 116549.jpeg
    116549.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 17

LCA078

Use this website to get a pretty good idea of shipping costs. Not perfect but it's a good ballpark of what a good price is for that size/distance/area. But sounds like your cousin is doing you pretty good compared to Veritread. Trust also factors into these decisions...

LCA078

Because the military 61G tractor corresponds to a commercial 94N machine with a Serial Number below 5191 they all would have been originally supplied by Caterpillar ftted with a D333C engine. Only the tractors that went through the SLEP program would have been upgraded to the later model 3006 engine with direct injection, the same engine model that was fitted ex-factory to the 94N tractors from machine 94N5660 onwards.
Nige- In my military parts manual, I see 4 engine arrangements. Maybe you or someone else can decipher what they are to see actual engines offered in the military version. I have the 5R8357 but I can also look my S/N up on SIS...don't know how to look up A/N

Attachments

• Engine arrangements.png
    Engine arrangements.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 4

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Regarding the 4 Arrangements: -

5R-0829 - No Record
5R-3715 - related to a D333C/3306 Industrial (not machine) engine.
5R-7757 - services to 5R-8357 which is listed as a 6NC-prefix 3306 engine with direct injection built to a specific arrangement to allow it to be a "drop in" into a military 61G-prefix D7F tractor to replace the original D333C engine.

1705342671523.png

If you go into SIS under your particular Serial Number be aware that it will NOT show any information regarding the updated engine installed as part of SLEP. The reason for this is that SIS only shows "as originally built" configurations and is not capable of catering for in-service upgrades made to a machine during its life.

Sidebar - That's why the commercial practice of issuing a completely new Serial Number to a machine after a Certified Rebuild seems to work better than simply stamping "R" on the plate after the original Serial Number. For example I can look up 4GZ75001 and get the exact breakdown of how it was built when the CR process was completed. The donor truck for that S/N would have been built some time in the late-1990s.

1705342374036.png

Last edited:

ja_cain

Are the blade controls the same on the 7f as the 6c or are they configured in a much kore intuitive way? Tilt still on the floor with pedels?

LCA078

JA-

Download the military user manual from this link as it has all the info you're looking for and then some:

For instance on page 54, you'll see a Circuit Breaker Reset Switch which resets a circuit breaker that protects starting and charging circuits. I seriously doubt you'll find that on a non-military dozer.

You'll also find all the parts and repair manual offered on that website if you pick up that military D7F. And remember those manuals were written for non-Cat trained Soldiers so they are fairly easily to understand. If you buy the D7F, I can help walk you through how the manuals are laid out. Fairly intuitive once you know the US Army technical manual numbering system.

ja_cain

JA-

Download the military user manual from this link as it has all the info you're looking for and then some:

For instance on page 54, you'll see a Circuit Breaker Reset Switch which resets a circuit breaker that protects starting and charging circuits. I seriously doubt you'll find that on a non-military dozer.

You'll also find all the parts and repair manual offered on that website if you pick up that military D7F. And remember those manuals were written for non-Cat trained Soldiers so they are fairly easily to understand. If you buy the D7F, I can help walk you through how the manuals are laid out. Fairly intuitive once you know the US Army technical manual numbering system.
You're awesome! Really appreciate it. I think I'm going to make up a binder with all of the resources that have been shared with me on this site.

There was a time when I referred to military TM's on a regular basis. I'm sure it will come back to me once I start reading them. My only regret is not writing up my method and submitting for publication of removing torque rods on 900 series 5 tons in the field with a porta power and big add pipe wrench. I was known as the torque rod master even though inwas formaly trained as a ground radio repairman. Every deployment I always gravitated towards wrench turners. Lol!

I will moat definitely reach out to you for help if/when I get one of these awesome machines.

Justin

LCA078

My only regret is not writing up my method and submitting for publication of removing torque rods on 900 series 5 tons in the field with a porta power and big add pipe wrench. I was known as the torque rod master even though inwas formaly trained as a ground radio repairman. Every deployment I always gravitated towards wrench turners. Lol!
Aww hell, you're already an expert on TM's. I started out as an avionics repairman (helicopter navigation radios) back when radios were mostly discrete components. Nowadays, way too many chips and circuit boards for me to follow. And it seems like you already know about heavy wrenching in a field environment. Torque rods on 5-tons are a beast- I may need to get your secrets! I have an M923 with the NHC-250 Cummins that is more of a parade truck than anything else. But yeah, it sounds you'll do just fine taking care of any dozer you pick up. Just be patient and find a good one

ja_cain

Aww hell, you're already an expert on TM's. I started out as an avionics repairman (helicopter navigation radios) back when radios were mostly discrete components. Nowadays, way too many chips and circuit boards for me to follow. And it seems like you already know about heavy wrenching in a field environment. Torque rods on 5-tons are a beast- I may need to get your secrets! I have an M923 with the NHC-250 Cummins that is more of a parade truck than anything else. But yeah, it sounds you'll do just fine taking care of any dozer you pick up. Just be patient and find a good one
I got a Navy Achievement Medal for my efforts in Greece/Macedonia/Kosovo. It was the crowning achievement of my second deployment with the 24th MEU (that and picking up E5 in Shivta Israel). My best friend works for Leiberr and I was his A driver all the way to the Kosovo/Serbian boarder. It was an epic deployment. My method is stupid simple.

ja_cain

My best friend who has worked for Liberrer for a couple of decades ow since he got out. What an epic convoy. Damn truck broke a torque rod 2 different times. It was super sketchy especially with the truck being way overloaded with all of our tools. She was definitely squatting. Driving from the shore of Greece all the way into Kosova is like driving through 3 WV's. I was periodically slapping him in the face to keep him from falling asleep. Lol. Sorry for the derail, but the mention of 900 series 5 ton just brings back too many memories.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117_165433_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117_165433_Photos.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 19
  • signal-2022-08-05-11-46-29-134.jpg
    signal-2022-08-05-11-46-29-134.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 19

LCA078

What an epic convoy. Damn truck broke a torque rod 2 different times. It was super sketchy especially with the truck being way overloaded with all of our tools. She was definitely squatting. Driving from the shore of Greece all the way into Kosova is like driving through 3 WV's. I was periodically slapping him in the face to keep him from falling asleep. Lol. Sorry for the derail, but the mention of 900 series 5 ton just brings back too many memories.
All my deployments were in countries that began with vowels. But since I was aviation, I was in the air most of the time and avoided the convoys...always felt sorry for the guys driving trucks on those long convoys. We would sometimes see them stretched over the horizon (we were only flying 100-200 feet above ground) and we'd try to fly ahead and give them any reports on things we saw. They always appreciated any top cover we could provide. Our TM's rated the 5-tons at 5-tons for offroad and then allowed a 2x factor (10-tons) for on road use. So if you're squatting a 5-ton and popping torque rods...then yeah, I'd say you were overloaded just a tad bit. o_O And yes, I can tell it's a 900 series from the hardtop in the pic- it brings back memories too. Awesome times when we were young. Thanks for posting