• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d7e (48axxx) front idler disassembly

Preppypyro

Hey guys, I have a late model d7e (48axxx) and I had a front bearing (I believe) bust out on me in the front idler. I do have a post up on acmoc regarding it http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?25398-D7E-Front-Idler-Issues

Anyways I have taken apart a few things and Im trying to see if I can replace the bearing without splitting the track. I have it to this point

14060035_10153699700275009_1039279803_o.jpg

And I cant seem to budge that "block" that is around the shaft. Im just looking for clarification if I may be able to remove that block, and replace whatever is broken at the point I am at now, or if I would still need to split the tracks.

I dont have anything taken apart on the inside of the idler either, just on the outside.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
You will have to split the tracks that block is pressed on and not sure but that idler could have bushings in also.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Preppypyro. The folks over at ACMOC set you pretty straight on this one. It won't be any different here . . . things are what they are.

You should not need to remove the "C" frame but it must be chained up and made safe.

Cheers.

lantraxco

If nobody mentioned it there's a tapered pin that locks that block on, goes in the hole on one side, has a bolt to draw it tight on the other end. But yeah, you gotta take the idler out to do that job.