• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D7D mineral oil or not

diesel1234

Occupation
farmer
Hi there, just bought a 1961 D7D out of euroauctions uk, changing all the oils on her, does the oil need to be mineral oil and not oil with the detergent in it? and does anyone have the part numbers for the engine oil and fuel filters?
Serial number 17A14739 Looking to buy a workshop repair manual so fit anyone can sell me one i would be most gratefull.
Im in the uk so manuals seem to be not available here very often.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Ay up lad. Tha reet..??

Regarding the oil type I would say you're correct that it should be a monograde oil, not a multigrade with all the detergents bells & whistles in it.
I had a quick hunt around and found a parts manual on the Cat Publications website.
Go to the link below and click "Continue as a Guest" when the first window pops up.
https://catpublications.com/
Type UE033467 in the Search box and click "Go". The manual you require will be the top one on a list of 19 documents. $89 for an Adobe pdf download from the web.

For a machine of this vintage it may well pay you to also register on the ACMOC web site and ask questions there. https://www.acmoc.org/

hosspuller

Nige … What's your reasoning to say " should be a monograde oil, not a multigrade with all the detergents bells & whistles in it." ? The oil chemistry advances since 1961 allow higher operating temps, longer service, cleaner internals, etc.

Puffie40

I don't see an issue with using detergent oil in any machine, but you should flush the motor a couple of times first, as the switch will disturb the accumulated grime the non-detergent oil left behind.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
The only thing I can think of is maybe call the service dept of your local Cat dealer and ask them. Hope this helps.

StanRUS

Nige … What's your reasoning to say " should be a monograde oil, not a multigrade with all the detergents bells & whistles in it." ? The oil chemistry advances since 1961 allow higher operating temps, longer service, cleaner internals, etc.
1960s Cat piston ring packs used 'square rings' instead of tapered 'keystone' compression type. Maybe a monograde oil would use less oil between service intervals. 1960s service intervals were typically @ 150hrs. I've had engines that would consume oil after switching to multigrade engine oil, even over-the-road trucks. Of course, today's typical diesel is low sulfur that requires different oil additive packages.