• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6M lgp that im now operating (usually an excavator driver)

mike 360*

well we have alot of work on this year now, and my boss had finally bought a dozer, a US import, D6m LGP. Im a 360 driver, but due to staff shortages, and the other sites we are currently on, there is just 2 of us on a big muck shift. At the moment we had the pc210, the cat 320cl that i drive, and now the dozer.

Here are some pics, we are shaping bunds around a new development. I think im doing alright, ive only had 2 months prev experience in dozer driving, that was on a D5 xl. No radio though in the dozer, im used to my ipod in the cat!

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,422

td25c

Great pictures mike360*. I'll bet the d6 handles well.with the long frame & wide pads It will go through mud that a man cant walk through.Is "muck shift" what we call "ditching" in the states?

Last edited:

dumpchuck

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Those are nice dozers, a friend of mine had one just like it, Does it have the fingertip steering controls?

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
That soil is really red isnt it? We have soil like that in PEI and it really grows the potatoes . Apparently its the iron in the soil that causes it. Could the assumption be made that your soil is red for the same reason?

td25c

That soil is really red isnt it? We have soil like that in PEI and it really grows the potatoes . Apparently its the iron in the soil that causes it. Could the assumption be made that your soil is red for the same reason?

I wasen't going to say it , but it looks like southern Indiana red clay.

mike 360*

yeh i find it easy to work with, it does have the finger tip steering, which is a joy to use. It is really wet clay sub soil, but it seems no problem for the LGP pads. Although we have been lucky with the weather lately with about 2weeks of sun and breeze which is drying the soil out. Hopefully we can move most of the soil before thurs, when i think we have rain. il post more pics of the finished job.

25c- the term muck shift here in the UK describes an large volume of earth to be moved!

As for the colour of the soil, well we are working in what was prime potato farm land last year, when it was sold for this cider factory to be built! so good guess!

ih100

Hi Mike. I'm just up the road from you at Peterborough. Need any extra help weekends? I'm at Caterpillar/Perkins doing engine installation and machine test work.

Richardjw~

As for the colour of the soil, well we are working in what was prime potato farm land last year, when it was sold for this cider factory to be built! so good guess!

That's a turn up for the books - not sure how many cider factories/presses there are in U.K. in this day & age but bet you could count them on one hand now compared to back in my father's time when at least 1 farm in the parish had a press, where are the apples coming from?

Seeing the soil colour reminded me of the land around the south east coast of Devon around Exmouth stretching over to around Newton Abbot, excellent soil for growing swede turnips

Last edited:

Eddiebackblade

Good on yer Mike!
A nice Dozer and you seem to be keeping the job tidy enough. It's always nice to have a change and you only learn from sitting in the seat. I love to get on a Dozer whenever I can, and find it very rewarding work.
How is the Komatsu performing against the Cat? I would bet the Cat goes looking for the Diesel bowser a lot more often.

ih100

Hi Mike. My mistake, I hadn't got my glasses on - I thought you were in HerTfordshire, not HerEfordshire. Anyway, good pictures.