• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6H cracked track frame.

HSV127

Hi guys, I was wondering what the best plan of attack would be to repair the cracked track frame on my 4YF D6H?
I recently got the machine back and found the crack after giving it a well over due clean! Looks like someone's had a go at it before but it hasn't held.
Look forward to your theories.

Cheers Rob.

IMG_3249.jpgIMG_3250.jpgIMG_3253.jpg

Cmark

This is quite common and there's a special instruction on how to repair it.

If you want to PM me your email address, I'll send you a copy.

td25c

I would pull the track frame off the machine , gouge out all the cracks & weld back with 7018's . Then plate the inside , something like this .

Attachments

• IMG_3253[1].jpg
    IMG_3253[1].jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 947

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
If you take off the A frame and fix it ,be sure to do the plating on the outside and inside to reinforce the frame.

If you could find good used frame i would start over with the plating and you will be good to go.Good luck

Cam85

yea mate this is as common as ill have to draw some pictures and get my partner to put them on here but this can b fixed.
if possible yes u want to slide the track frame out gouge it out and get it welded personally I would get a boilermaker to do it.
but to stop the problem from coming back u will want some plate braces put in.
under the final drive both on the inside and the outside on top of the frame inch plate will do fine think like a rectangle but on top more like a triangle with the point being in line with the middle of the drive the top of the triangeled plate needs to b flattenend out and all edges rounded off this adds conciderabel strength ill c if I can get some pictures on here

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As CMark says, it appears to be quite common because there is a factory repair procedure for it. The Cat publication reference is REHS0540, you can have a copy in Adobe pdf format for the price of a PM with your email address.

HSV127

Thanks for all your help guys. CMARK has supplied me with said Cat repair procedure, makes for interesting reading and I'll be getting started on the repair when I get a chance. Was at the local Cat dealer the other day and out of interest asked how much for a new track frame, $20,000.00 plus gst and freight, up there!
Cheers Rob.

Nige

The only advice would be don't be frightened of it, if the procedure says cut a hole in the structure then go ahead and do it. If as you say someone had a go at it previously then the repeat crack is most likely due to the fact that they didn't go deep enough into the structure to get to the root of the problem and fix it properly.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
When i had problems i got a used track frame around $800 in good shape,then had all the plating done for less then 1000 per side.You might as well do the other side before it does the same thing.No problems since the plating was down.Do the top side plating also,which i'm guessing will be in the info sent to you.

HSV127

So what you're saying nige is, cut your way in and weld your way out haha.
Will be doing both sides as pivot shaft seals and I guess bushes need attention as well.
Am also keeping an eye out for a second hand one for the right price.

Nige

So what you're saying nige is, cut your way in and weld your way out
Absolutely right. I bet money once you get right deep into it you'll find a crack way inside the structure that whoever did the previous repair never even got to. Also if you read the document it shows upgrades in other areas of the track frame that you can also do. I'd suggest you do all of them at one time because Sod's Law dictates that if you only beef it up in one place it's then going to fail somewhere else in short order.