• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d6d injector pump leaks around throttle linkage shaft 3306

Mountainmover

Hello,
My injector pump has an intermittent leak where the shaft exits for where the throttle linkage connects.

Do I need to take it an injector shop or cat dealer for pump work or can I somehow pull off the plate and install a new seal easily in the field? Injectors pumps can be tedious.....any tips?
Cost? Process of fixing it?
I'd really appreciate any help.

Oh, while I am at it.....the fuel pressure gauge is fogged over. Do I need to buy this at cat or can I get one at my local napa? Shouldn't it be an outdoor waterproof style gauge? What reading should it set up for? 0-200 or what? Lol. Or white to red? Thanks!

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
What's leaking around the shaft,oil or fuel.If it is oil it is usually just the seal .Take it off and replace.If it is fuel then would have to dig into it farther.Good luck

Old Magnet

By that s/n it should be a sleeve metering pump. OK to remove shaft cover, it is spring loaded. Keep shaft in place. Requires seal #4N2786 and cover gasket 4N0402.
You will need to bleed fuel from governor housing.

Fuel pressure gauge is a Cat #1W706, 0-30psi. Buy from Cat or aftermarket.

Attachments

• 3304 6 FP.jpg
    3304 6 FP.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Hi OM
American D6Ds 4x. did all the PC and DI engines have the sleeve metering fuel pump ?. I know somewhere along the line they will change to the later new scroll fuel pump. Any idea where, at what s/n this took place ? and same question for ps D7G 92V
Japanese 31X all used the early scroll pump then changed to a interim scroll pump with the DI motor. Far more reliable than the SMFS pump. Have only seen 2 usa model down here a PC and a DI but both had smfs.
Thanks from NZ. merv

Bob/Ont

The only 3306 DI engine with a sleeve metering pump was a D5 that I have seen. Other wise when the 3300 engines swiched over to DI the also used the New Scroll pump, around 1980.
Later Bob

Old Magnet

Hi Merv/Bob.
According to my D6D parts manual the 4X changed to sleeve metering and DI at s/n 4X6608 (1980)

With what info I have on the D7G 92V it appears they used sleeve metering up to 92V11897 (1983) and changed to DI and new scroll at 92V11898 (1984)

I'd like to see the actual parts manuals on the D7G (I don't have) because you can't always believe what you read.

Last edited:

shopguy

I had the same problem with my 4x sleeve meter last year it made the rest of my hair fall out before I got it fixed but here is what I found out the hard way. That compartment should be Dry that cover and seal only keeps dirt out the seal that keeps the fuel in is deeper in and you have to pull the shaft to replace it. Mine was missing (good pump shop) also it is the same part number as the one in the cover , you can pull the rear end / gov. housing without removing the pump.
Hope This Helps

Old Magnet

I had the same problem with my 4x sleeve meter last year it made the rest of my hair fall out before I got it fixed but here is what I found out the hard way. That compartment should be Dry that cover and seal only keeps dirt out the seal that keeps the fuel in is deeper in and you have to pull the shaft to replace it. Mine was missing (good pump shop) also it is the same part number as the one in the cover , you can pull the rear end / gov. housing without removing the pump.
Hope This Helps

That's good info, didn't realize the outer chamber should be dry. Interesting that there is no part number called out or quantity of 2 indicated to cover the inner seal in the parts manual but would assume the same seal is used. So both should be changed. Yes, housing will need to be pulled and there are a few bits and pieces to keep track of. Inner seal needs lip facing in and outer seal lip would be pointing out in this case.

Attachments

• D7F-Gov.-&-FI-Pump-#4.jpg
    D7F-Gov.-&-FI-Pump-#4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:

Old Magnet

Here are some more pics....

Attachments

• D7F-Governor-Parts-#1.jpg
    D7F-Governor-Parts-#1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 641
  • D7F-Governor-Function.jpg
    D7F-Governor-Function.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 588
  • D7f 3306 SM Gov #2.jpg
    D7f 3306 SM Gov #2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 665

shopguy

That seal is shown on another page from the cover (gov housing I think) hidden very well .Bet the cover gasket is whats leakin the detent spring pushes so hard till it bows the cover out between the bolts.
Thanks again ,for helping with mine guys.

Old Magnet

Got it, buried in the cut away, Item #7.
Poster indicated it was leaking around the shaft.

Attachments

• D7F-Gov,-&-FI-Pump-#2.jpg
    D7F-Gov,-&-FI-Pump-#2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

shopguy

It is shown in this pic without a number if you extend the number seven pointer line to the counterbore in the housing I don't how to mark on this pic