• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6D--a decent farm cat?

Puffie40

I'm thinking the guy given the job to paint that tractor was a bit of a Cat fanatic. At least they didn't get the idea to paint it green...

sawmilleng

Enigneer4255,

The photo was taken in Cranbrook, BC, Canada. The ripper isn't for sale. It gets used for foresty road repair when the snow wing comes off the grader.

I wouldn't mind having it, either, to decorate the back of my bareback '6!

Jon.

Brainzie

:):cool2

Attachments

• Photo0090.jpg
    Photo0090.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 649
  • Photo0089.jpg
    Photo0089.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 677
  • Photo0095_1.jpg
    Photo0095_1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 680
  • Photo0094.jpg
    Photo0094.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 661
  • Photo0228.jpg
    Photo0228.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 669

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
must be a bloody good job if you can get 2 tractors working on a job phil !
Hows the 15 going ? Take it you got that 70 scoop, hows it going and what are you pulling it with ?
15 looks to be more on par with a D7 size compared to the poor little D6 !
Been driving a D6R-1 last 2 weeks, not mine unfortunately ! a mates one. Nice tho certainly moves more dirt than my D, but eats some diesel doing it. Cheers merv :drinkup

D6 Merv

Occupation
latest acquisition ! :beatsme001 (3).jpg
Dead, but will fix engine, liner seals gone. Not bad for 3k, well I hope its not bad ! Be a good winch tractor. HD11ep

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . just reading through this old thread and I see several references to removing the hooks and fitting a pcu to do a bit of scooping . . . bloody hell!

I can't imagine such a carry on . . . has no come up with a way of running a scoop behind a ripper?

Cheers.

D6 Merv

Occupation
depends on the tractor and ripper setup scrub. Only seen one setup that worked good. that was a no 25 pcu mounted between the mounting brackets on a no8 radial arm rippers on a early D8H. They just had to drop the 2 ripper frame pins and the 2 hyd ram pins. Usually is just no room to mount a pcu between ripper frames.
Hydraulic scoops make it easier; but usually isn,t enough clearance between bottom of ripper linkage for the drawbar pole when the tractor goes into a ground depression. And the idea of hooking onto the ripper frame drawbar just don,t work in practice.
Problem is there is too much thrust when trying to turn with the drawbar connected so far out from the tractors rear sprockets.
The point of connection needs to be as close as possible to the tractors rear frame
With my hyd 70, I just knock out the 5 pins connecting the ripper linkage and pull off the ripper mounting frame.Scooping 9.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Gotcha D6Merv .

I thought there may have been a setup where the goose-neck of the scoop mounts directly to the ripper . . . I haven't really thought it through

It is interesting to note that millions of yards of earth works and the early development of the grazing industry in Australia would not have been possible (or prohibitively expensive) had it not been for cable controlled equipment on crawler tractors . . . it would not be possible to do that scoop-work cost effectively with present day hydraulic equipment.

Cheers.

Last edited:

D6 Merv

Occupation
yeah scrub, too many people think diggers and trucks is only way to move dirt. Tractor and scoop is 'old' technology. Is is but it still works and works well too on shorter hauls. In my case 100-500m. As long as I can get ontop of and behind the dirt, its just 1 man and 1 machine, load, carry, dump, spread, trample, return and start again.
Digger and truck has there place, but not do all and end all of dirtwork. Each one depends on the other to move dirt. Digger or truck breaks down, things stop. 2 scrapers, don't matter if 1 breaks down, other one keeps working.
Forgot; I did see one setup on a late D85 with a 15SBW kokudo hyd scoop that seemed to work ok. A towing hitch was fabricated and mounted midway underneath the lower centre ripper linkage. Had 4 barrel rippers and with linkage right up and tilted forward and all picks removed, the point of connection was pretty good and wouldn,t create too much thrust when turning.
Is still quite a few D8H/Ks running around NZ with both cable and hyd scoops. And a a lot of D7H/D85 with the 15 kokudo scoops, on swampy or standard shoes too.

Brainzie

Hey Merv. Those photos of the 15 and the d6 together where taken just as we got the 15. Only just got the torque converter fixed up on Wednesday with parts out of Canada. The rivets came out of the the impeller and absolutely buggered the inside of it. so it was recond converter and new impeller, the new one having 16 rivets instead of just 8. both D6`s sold now. great pics of yours, looks like you`ll be kept out of mischief with the Alice Chamlers

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . What did not come over in my poorly worded #51 post was that earthworks in any part of the inland pretty much have to be ripped every floor and with hydraulic equipment (as we know it) the work could not be done with a scoop.

With cable you start off with the drawn ripper, drop it off and fit the scoop, clean the floor out, drop the scoop and so on . . . takes about ten minutes max to swap over.

As I have mentioned before on this site in remote areas there were plenty of tractors that never saw a float and, during their lives walked thousands of miles between jobs.

The normal shifting situation was a "Road Train" with the tractor towing the scoop, ripper and often four wheel dog trailer with fuel drums and oil.

An off-sider (or wife) would tow the caravan or another trailer with water drums with tent and camp gear and very often a tribe of kids.

It could have been done with hydraulics if the scoop and ripper were converted but of course that never happened.

I believe in remote areas cable was more practical and of course easier to fix.

As pointed out by D6 Merv earth moving by this method was truly a one man operation.

Cheers.

nicky 68a

still using them here in the UK.There are still a fair few of them about.
There is a chap in Sweden who runs a lovely D8R and Hyd 463G.His tractor has a ripper fitted to it all the time and he just drops the shank out of it to use the scraper.Not sure how effective it is though.

Attachments

• mms_img159304249 (2).jpg
    mms_img159304249 (2).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 650

D6 Merv

Occupation
Ah the old 'Ben Hurr' rippers scrub :confused: Another Bob Letourneau invention; along with the scoop ! Only knew of one contractor that used that setup and scoop, behind his 14A D8. He worked stripping in a rubble quarry and regularly swapped them around. Was certainly the easiest way if you had to rip the ground. Most scoop work over here was in clay and scoops would either dig it themselves, or they had to have another tractor ripping and pushing for heaped loads.
Always enjoy your pics and banter Nicky, and Roly Billings. Nice tidy machines, and some good youtube videos too from you fellas in the UK. Cheers boys :drinkup

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . D6 Merv. Yes, it sure had to be ripped mate . . . we are talking hard red, less than twelve inches a year rainfall country, sometimes much less . . . Google Earth (say) "Cunnamulla Queensland" if you are interested.

The probably irrelevant point I was making was that we could not move the dirt as efficiently (in those remote areas) these days as you need to be able to rip and scoop with the one tractor.

Sure, you could do it with the blade but some of those tanks were pretty big and nothing beats a scoop when you are running dirt a hundred yards or so building out a wing.

Back in the late fifties/early sixties not much dirt was pushed, it was almost seen as sacrilege to touch a batter with a blade.

Having a floor of loose ripped dry dirt introduces a whole new technique to getting a load . . . a sort of a drop it in and pump it and get outa there with what you got sort of a carry on (big grin) . . . and dust. The apron around the excavation can powder up into a flowable talcum powder medium that most folks have never seen.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Cam85

Hey Scrub what does CPU stand for. I guess continual power unit meaning the winch right?
Always wanted to have a go at one. With a hyd set up why can't u simply drop the rippers out and hook up to the box.

How wold this setup compare with ellervated scrapers as far as bang 4 ur buck goes in today's world.

Just out of curiosity would there b anyone left around in Australia still dam sinking with such a setup.

Last edited:

Cam85

Oh by the way I know all about the bull dust u speak of I really do.

Just to give u an idea the last job in did was a 35000 meg stock watering dam I built with a 615 ellervated and a direct drive d6c worked out yo b $1:80 one dollar eighty per Meg do u reckon a scoop behind a dozer could beat that.

Last edited: