• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6D--a decent farm cat?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Guday Cam85! Good to see you back? Wotcha upta?

We knew them as a PCU Power Control Unit . . . the folks in The UK and US seem to use the terms CCU Cable Control Unit or CPU Cable Power Unit.

On the back they are usually two drum. The right drum is used for blade lift and, when hooked to the scoop runs the hoist, the left drum runs the eject and the apron.

Don't understand your hi-falutin terminology . . . I work in cubic meters of excavation.

You need to compare apples with apples and would need to know tank details, distance to wings, and hourly rates before any comparison could be made.

The point is that a scraper alone is a bit limited . . . you need a dozer to clear the site and clean up.

I haven't seen a scoop behind a steeltrack in a long time but there was an outfit in the US with a heap of D11's and 52yard scoops up until the financial crash . . . apparently they reckoned there was no cheaper way to move dirt up to a thousand feet.

Google McAninch on Youtube.

Cheers.

Cam85

Hey Scrub I haven't been doing anything I can't seem to find work.

I'll have to get my diary out and find the sums but basically I shot the levels and worked out how manny cubes I had shifted then I worked out how much water the hole would hold with 1 meg being 1000 litres.
Then worked out how much the job cost then worked out the cost into the Meg's and that will tell u how much each meg of water cost to construct.
Then reversed the math to double check my math.
So with 35000 Meg's that's 350000 litres x $1:80 =$63000

I can't remember how manny loads I did but that was an averiege of 1 load every 5 minutes with the bowl being 15 yards.
I do have all the details in my diary up 2 and including fuel burn , cubes , even distance hauled total strip costs , topsoil cost trim cost including batter of cost all separate.
Now I think about it haul distance would b the diving factor and fuel.
Scrapers love a drink where as direct drive tractors are pretty economical that would b big factor 2 .
The scraper would b way faster over distance but things like high matience costs on the scraper and so on effecting the hr rate the old scoop might b cheaper in the short haul.

Was just trying to work it out that's all for a bloke whose sworn off the industry I don't know why Ime still interested.

Maybe it's in the blood and Ime doomed ha ha ha.

I trust ur poking along alright down there old feller.

Regards cam

JackXXX

Parts for these are very easy to find and available from many aftermarket sources.

If the owner will let you, put it in the dirt for a couple hours and push for all it is worth, if the trans/torque gauge goes into the red there are issues here to deal with. Listen for exhaust gaskets leaking, this means broken manifold bolts, best fix is to trade head to cat for a reman and a new manifold, probably a new turbo too. Probably need new injectors too at the same time, look real hard at the fan drive..if bearings are loose, hub is probably shot. Also the fan and alternator pulleys may be shot (this is an old tractor) and this will slow down the fan for less cooling. Radiator core must be good for good cooling too. These are just problems that all old tractors will run into, don't let it sway you much, I fixed every bit of this on my D6D, and it is a very dependable and economical tractor to run. Factory D6 ripper is pretty large so it sounds like this one is lighter, but still might be fine.

Pull off the floor panels under your feet on the operators station after you get it hot and look around for leaks. If it has been run hot a lot, the seals under the trans pump and assorted other valve blocks near the torque will be leaking. No big job to re the seals, just an indication of what has been happening.

Tractor will do a ton of work and you can haul it on a two axle lowboy.
I have been reading this thread on the D6D, very informative.

This past year I bought a D6D (04X0 w/3306 engine, power shift) for use on farm, pushing brush: cedar, hackberry and other. This past summer (August-September) in my location (central Texas), it was about 95F-100F every day. After about 5-6 hours of work, the transmission heat gauge was getting near red, so I stopped work for the day. On some days, similar heat-up to near red, other days the gauge stayed in the lower to mid green zone.

In your discussion, you note “if the trans/torque gauge goes into the red there are issues here to deal with.” Can you elaborate on what the issues are, difficulty to repair? Also, if you have reference to recommended repair manuals, this would be helpful.