• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6C track problems

Check Break

There's an entire thread on final drive repair you can read through if you haven't already, entitled "My D6D". Is there a handful of metal in the other side as well.

.RC.

There's an entire thread on final drive repair you can read through if you haven't already, entitled "My D6D". Is there a handful of metal in the other side as well.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That's not only a steep learning curve you're staring at, it's going to hurt your wallet, big-time.

Not only the outer hub major repair, but the final drive needs to come apart, and the dead axle will have to be pulled as well, to rebuild that destroyed thread - and it's entirely possible the taper on the dead axle has been damaged, too.

Welder Dave

Even looking at the sprocket in relation to the roller in front of it, something looks off. The sprocket teeth should center with the roller. It looks like the roller or the sprocket is offset. Could be camera angle though. I feel sorry for you and hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.

sbsimkins1

I have a service manual and parts book for my machine but neither tells me any thing about tolerances. The service manual gives how to replace or tear down but not how to tell when a part is out of tolerance. Is there a book I can get that does?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The service manual gives how to replace or tear down but not how to tell when a part is out of tolerance. Is there a book I can get that does?
Sounds as though you are missing the section entitled "Specifications" for both the powertrain & undercarriage (if they are separate).
Unfortunately the system does not contain information on the 76A prefix machine.

sbsimkins1

Sounds as though you are missing the section entitled "Specifications" for both the powertrain & undercarriage (if they are separate).
Unfortunately the system does not contain information on the 76A prefix machine.
Yeah I can find it for the engine but the rest doesn't seem to be there. It seems as though the 76A was a rare serial number.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I have a D6C with the serial# 76A5579 I'm told it was manufactured in1968. When you do decide to look for parts for yours, if you go CAT you'll need to be sure and tell the parts slingers to look up your serial number/parts in the Legacy Book, otherwise you'll not be getting numbers/parts for your machine. I bought some manuals for my machine from a reprinter that handles the older CAT books. when I get to the manuals I'll get you a website.

I lied, there is no identification on the books I have and I can't find the name of the company that printed/sold them to me. I thought I purchased them using Paypal but no record of that transaction. It just says 'Licensed under Caterpillar Tractor Co.'
I'll try and find the site on the internet....I think that's how I got the information before.

Last edited:

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The 76A D6C is not rare, it was a very popular tractor, and Cat built over 6000 of them in Peoria.

The problem with the Cat service manuals is that they comprise a number of separate books - Specifications, Assembly and Disassembly, and sections for each major component area.

But sellers pull out sections of the manuals, and try to sell them separately for big $$'s. Look for a complete service manual that hasn't been raped of the good sections.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The problem with the Cat service manuals is that they comprise a number of separate books - Specifications, Assembly and Disassembly, and sections for each major component area.
And the $64k question to ask any online seller is - “Is it complete.?” In other words is every separate document that is listed on the Contents page (1st page inside the hard cover) actually in the binder.?

Often a reputable seller will put in the description of an item that section “X” is missing.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
That one seems to cover a plethora of Serial Number prefixes but unfortunately not 76A.
I didn't notice that Nige, I gave the link because of all the books in the listing thinking there may be one in the complete listing if the OP looked through them all. But good catch on the one in the primary listing.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
The 76A D6C is not rare, it was a very popular tractor, and Cat built over 6000 of them in Peoria.

But sellers pull out sections of the manuals, and try to sell them separately for big $$'s. Look for a complete service manual that hasn't been raped of the good sections.
With 6000 machines built, it would seem there would be a set of manuals floating around somewhere a person was done with and would like to unload. Seems odd that the 76A model is the one that's the rarest.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Interchangeable models with the 76A are 73A (Australian-built), 83A (U.K built) and 96A (Japanese built). All these tractors are virtually identical, just built in different countries.

There are small differences, such as the Japanese tractors originally used Nippon-Denso or Mitsubishi electrics, whereas the U.S. built ones used Delco-Remy electrics.

But the service manuals are interchangeable between all these models of D6C. In fact, when I bought my new 73A D6C in 1966, it came with a 76A (PS) - 74A (DD) service manual. I still have it.