• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6C track problems

sbsimkins1

Hey guys,
I have a Cat D6C 76A that the tracks keep jumping off the lower rollers when going backwards. I tightened the tracks up to see if that was the problem but it was no different. None of the rollers are stuck. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Cliffy

Track frame alignment, sprocket bearing failure, track rails worn out, front idler alignment, any photos?

sbsimkins1

Track frame alignment, sprocket bearing failure, track rails worn out, front idler alignment, any photos?
What photos would be helpful? It has near new bushings and sprockets. I watched as it was drove forwards and backwards and the sprocket didn't have any noticeable shift nore the idler. I had wondered if there was an alignment but no idea how to check it.

Welder Dave

Can you back up slowly and have someone watch to see where the track is going sideways or wanting to come off? If you lift the front of the dozer can the idlers be rocked side to side? If both tracks want to come off indicates worn idler bushings and/or track frames out of alignment. You could try measuring across the tracks at the back and front of the machine as well as top and bottom. It may show if the tracks are toed in or out at the front. Also check the top carrier rollers are centered with the idlers and sprockets.

sbsimkins1

Can you back up slowly and have someone watch to see where the track is going sideways or wanting to come off? If you lift the front of the dozer can the idlers be rocked side to side? If both tracks want to come off indicates worn idler bushings and/or track frames out of alignment. You could try measuring across the tracks at the back and front of the machine as well as top and bottom. It may show if the tracks are toed in or out at the front. Also check the top carrier rollers are centered with the idlers and sprockets.
It's only jumping off the left side. I had dad move it back and it started to jump off at the rear roller right next to the sprocket. They spun good and didn't seem to have any side play. I didn't check the idler roller in the front for play by hand but it didn't wobble when changing directions. The undercarriage is pretty new. I'm feeling like they didn't get it put back together correctly and need to align it. Will the tracks measure the same to the body? Or is the body off center of the tracks? Thanks

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The track frame alignment with the sprocket is pretty critical. With the track separated and laid out, you use a stringline along the top of the sprocket, carrier rollers and idler to set the alignment of all three items.

The track frame position can be altered by inserting or removing shims from the track frame guide plate that is situated behind the big cast cover with 6 bolts in it, on the outer hub of the sprocket shaft.

Toe-in and toe-out is also a critical measurement for track frames. You measure centre-to-centre between sprockets and idlers and compare the variation in measurements. It should not be any more than about 1-2" - 3/4" difference.
Excessive toe-in or toe-out is caused by bent track frames, or wear in the outer hub bronze bearing, or wear/breakage in the bearing shells under the diagonal brace caps.

Another factor is whether the diagonal brace is bent or not. A diagonal brace with a bend in it can make the entire track frame tilt in, or tilt out, at the top (not vertical).

The diagonal brace looks unbreakable, but they're not as strong as they look, and they bend more easily than you might expect.
In fact, when the D6C was released in 1963, the diagonal brace was so weak, and bent so often, that Cat had to produce a factory upgrade that involved welding plates top and bottom to the diagonal braces, to strengthen them.

This was a free factory upgrade, and my first D6C, purchased in Dec 1966, had this upgrade applied to my tractor by the local Cat dealer, at no cost to me.
So you will find a lot of early D6C's wearing plated diagonal braces. My second D6C, bought new in April 1968, had strengthened diagonal braces, and did not need the factory upgrade plating.

Welder Dave

From your 1st post I thought both tracks were coming off. Check the roller closest to the sprocket is a single flange and it is centered with the sprocket and is square to the track frame. If it was installed with a bit of twist might cause your problem. Also look if there is a bracket or part of the track frame that may be bent or twisted and is pushing on the track chain. My machine has pieces welded on the track frames to act as guides for the track near the sprockets. I can see they have a bunch of wear but haven't had any issues since putting on new undercarriage. I'm wondering if your D6 could have guides that got deformed or twisted by a rock or something and pushing on the track chain. Also look for signs of rubbing on the sides of the track chains. If there is could be from the rollers or deformed guides. Pics. would help and could show uneven wear on the roller flanges or rails.

sbsimkins1

If it's only jumping off one side start by posting photos of the track rollers, links, bushings, etc, etc, on that side. If there's something else someone want to see they'll ask for it.

One question: Is the recoil spring & mechanism all in good order.? Spring not broken by any chance.?
I the spring looks good and it takes grease without leaking off. Nothing looks to be damaged. I'll get some pics in the morning. Thanks

sbsimkins1

From your 1st post I thought both tracks were coming off. Check the roller closest to the sprocket is a single flange and it is centered with the sprocket and is square to the track frame. If it was installed with a bit of twist might cause your problem. Also look if there is a bracket or part of the track frame that may be bent or twisted and is pushing on the track chain. My machine has pieces welded on the track frames to act as guides for the track near the sprockets. I can see they have a bunch of wear but haven't had any issues since putting on new undercarriage. I'm wondering if your D6 could have guides that got deformed or twisted by a rock or something and pushing on the track chain. Also look for signs of rubbing on the sides of the track chains. If there is could be from the rollers or deformed guides. Pics. would help and could show uneven wear on the roller flanges or rails.
The track chain is definitely worn from jumping out. This looks to be a problem they had a while before I bought it. I'll get pictures of the guild. I think all the rollers on that side are double flange. I maybe about to get myself into a lot of work.

Welder Dave

I thought the undercarriage was fairly new? Every roller a double flange is very odd and could be the problem. There isn't usually enough clearance from the sprocket teeth to fit a double flange roller next to the sprocket.

sbsimkins1

I thought the undercarriage was fairly new? Every roller a double flange is very odd and could be the problem. There isn't usually enough clearance from the sprocket teeth to fit a double flange roller next to the sprocket.
The pins don't have any visible wear, the sprockets look to have minimal wear, all the rollers are tight. I'm not sure exactly what all to look for or how to check the under carriage for a good number. I don't believe it was professionally replaced. I bought the thing for 8k not running ( it would start, just die after a few seconds.) I've never working on heavy equipment before this dozer but I'm a quick study so I'll probably call somethings the wrong thing. Sorry for any confusion.

Welder Dave

The pins don't have any visible wear, the sprockets look to have minimal wear, all the rollers are tight. I'm not sure exactly what all to look for or how to check the under carriage for a good number. I don't believe it was professionally replaced. I bought the thing for 8k not running ( it would start, just die after a few seconds.) I've never working on heavy equipment before this dozer but I'm a quick study so I'll probably call somethings the wrong thing. Sorry for any confusion.
Show some pics. of everything. It's really hard to diagnose what could be wrong without seeing what you're talking about.

nicky 68a

Oz Dozer,you are right about those track braces not being as tough as they look.
I had one break on an early D8H 68a 7 roller frame.Wasn’t a big job to weld it though.
All my later D8H’s has the thicker wishbones/diagonal braces and have no trouble.
The big bushes at the back need looking at.They will be pretty worn in the op’s D6

sbsimkins1

Ok now that I know what I'm looking for the sprocket doesn't line up with roller at all. It's withing 1/4 inch on the inside and close to an inch on the outside.

Attachments

• 1000001054.jpg
    1000001054.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 1000001054.jpg
    1000001054.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

sbsimkins1

I didn't mean to send the same picture 2 times but I also measured to the body from the idler and it seems to be about 1/2in out. Which is close to what my sprocket offset is off. Also my back roller is a single and the rest are doubles. The otherside appears to alternate like the book says to do

Check Break

Ok now that I know what I'm looking for the sprocket doesn't line up with roller at all. It's withing 1/4 inch on the inside and close to an inch on the outside.
At least you have a single flange in front of the sprocket. That eliminates a double flange issue. You have an alignment issue that others have raised.

sbsimkins1

It's not looking good. The nut just fell off when I took the cover off. I feel like I'm about to learn a lot.

Attachments

• 20240317_095550.jpg
    20240317_095550.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240317_095546.jpg
    20240317_095546.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40

Check Break

That roller is completely wollered out. Now to figure out how many more have suffered the same fate.