• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D6C info

Alaistair

Gday folks.

Looking at purchasing an old D6C bulldozer of a friend of my fathers. He is retiring and looking to offload some gear. Just seeing if anyone can help me with some info.

The dozer is Cat D6C. The serial tag on the dash is pretty scratched up. But the one on the left side of the hydraulic tank behind the engine has 5IG001062. I haven’t got to much info than that plus a few photos.

Dad’s friend said the story he knows is that the dozer was built in the UK. Then it was imported to Australia by Hastings and bought by another fellow. My dads friend then pirchased it off this fellow.

I’ll add some photos of the old girl. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The first photo is the S/N tag for the Hydraulic Control which in itself doesn't mean much apart from when parts information is required. 51G prefix is a model 153 Hyd Control first built in 1963 in the UK.

The second one is the big deal. Somehow you will need to make the stamped/painted numbers more reabable. With the Hyd Control having been built in the UK I have to assume that the tractor will also be a UK-built machine. So it is likely the S/N prefix of the tractor will be 82A (direct drive) or 83A (powershift) because production of both those models started in 1964.

I don't think it's likely to be the later 46J/47J prefix D6C tractor because production of those models did not start in the UK until 1968.

tctractors

This is I feel a D6C 46J Series Tractor fitted with the D333C engine, It looks to be in strong condition and to people like me a thing of Desire, I would struggle to not buy it as it will always earn a few £££, as for year I would suggest around 1970 or 72, it has no Turbo and these Tractors were sold with or without the Turbo fitment, we are an Odd Bunch in the U.K. and will not buy anything if it will work well without and the Turbocharger fits this thought, if I recall they were all about 140 bhp, the engine is the 4 3/4" bore x 6" stroke unit that was improved into the 3306 in early 1973, the earlier 82A was fitted with the 4 1/2" D333B series engine that has the lot thicker cylinder head and to all intents is totally different, just thought it worth saying that the hydraulic tank has 2 filters fitted 1 on top of the other.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That last picture that says D6 Series C, look around it and see if there are any letters or numbers stamped in the block as often Cat stamped the S/N right in the block very close to where that tag is mounted. At least the machines here in the USA were done that way.

tctractors

That last picture that says D6 Series C, look around it and see if there are any letters or numbers stamped in the block as often Cat stamped the S/N right in the blocedk very close to where that tag is mounted. At least the machines here in the USA wooere done that way.e
I can be pretty sure it's a 46J as I used to work on them as a common thing,, I also think the build year is about correct, the later built Tractors had the 3306 fitted and the Safety Cabins kicked in to the build.

Alaistair

Thanks folks. The tractor is 3 hours drive away and I was there picking up a stick rake for a Cat 928 loader I purchased a few years ago of him. He is selling the property and has given me first offer on the dozer and just starting a bit of research.
it has rippers mounted to the rear so I’d have to remove them to see if it stamped there. I noticed one the top left stud has broken of so potentially the stamped numbers have worn off.
I will contact him and see if there’s anything on the engine block as I have seen in other photos on this site.

Thank you

Alaistair

Here are some more photos of the old gorl

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

Alaistair

More

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

Alaistair

G'day folks. The fellow whom owns the dozer has gotten back to me. The serial number is 46J355. Could anyone shed any light on what year it perhaps was manufactured. Thank you