• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6B Steering Clutch Control

Sam1734

Has anyone here reinstalled the steering clutch control unit and had issues with the hydraulic pistons? I just finished a complete rear end rebuild, and now my steering clutches are engaging, however I have my yoke bolt is literally bottomed out. According to the manual I need to have .19 clearance between to cylinder and lever, but the lever is not engaging at that measurement. Do I need to remove the control unit, and push the levers and cylinder up further onto the piston and remount the unit? I do currently have the 3.75" travel on the steering levers but no room for error if the clutches wear. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks Sam

Sam1734

Seems the indexing of the splined yoke shaft is off. Yes you will have to raise the unit, shift the shaft indexing a tooth and set it back down.
Thanks, I did just that. The manual was a little difficult to understand, however, when I raised it back up, I push the levers and cylinders into the "engaged" position and set it back down and adjusted from there. It's working great now.