• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5m steering clutch levers

Rickyb1968

Dozer hasn’t been used much in the last year. The steering clutch levers are wanting to stay together when I pull one back. I’m hoping as I run machine more they loosen up and become independent of one another. It’s not like they are rusted together but it’s just enough you need to hold one still when moving the other. Right now when I turn I have to hold one lever and pull the other back. Our there grease zerks on them? Can’t see anything from top looking down. Feels like they need greasing. It’s a 1997 cat D5m.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Our there grease zerks on them? Can’t see anything from top looking down. Feels like they need greasing.
The linkage is not greased. The bearings are small needle rollers or plain bushes.
Dust tends to accumulate on that linkage. You will probably have to get in there and first do some cleaning, then lubricate with something like thin oil or WD40.

1685718025417.png

Rickyb1968

Thanks Nige, that is what I needed. When you say cleaning are you talking compressed air? Also after cleaning I’m thinking dry lube on all the pivot points? One last question, how can I access those bottom pivots.it looks like they are behind panels that are behind the tracks. Maybe take the floor pan out to gain access? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: