• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT d5k2 stopped dead in tracks. Code E283 (3)

R.w. Chambers

I know this is an old thread but needing location for
Charge pressure sensor
Charge relief valve
Suction screen

I have the same issue no charge pressure… we attempted a filter and fluid change and rechecked filter housing and was bone dry.. so pressure is a 0 ? … also is there a good place to get location and diagrams for my machine? Thanks in advance.

R.w. Chambers

Serial number: CAT00d5kekw200629

Code: E283 (3)

I suspect coupler … but looking for above info to check charge pressure sensor , charge relief valve ect, …

As stated already check and install new filter / fluid… Started machine then checked hydraulic filter housing again and no fluid… dry filter …

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Thanks for the info. I think you can probably leverage the experiences of the poster who originally created this thread and rather than going through lots of testing there might be a simpler way to determine if the hystat pump is actually turning. See the quote below from Post #18 on Page 1.

"After getting machine back to shop, I took rear pump off and left all hoses on... just didnt realize it was not sealed between the 2 pumps so out came all the hydraulic fluid. I was going to change it anyway so no big deal. I took flywheel cover off and rotated engine and had my finger where the spline shaft goes into the main pump and no movement at all while turning flywheel. Also realized you can see the bigger pumps spline shaft in a small window between flywheel and shaft and also got no rotation of the main pump spline. So I guess im safe to say I need a coupler."

Note the comment that if you don't drain the oil first you get a bath........

Also take a close look at Post #20 on Page 1 regarding what he actually found.

R.w. Chambers

The machine stopped dead in it tracks was running good knocking down mesquite trees so not loaded down … no busted hose no fluid loss … Dozer will fire up .. just no hydraulic or drive..

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As stated already check and install new filter / fluid… Started machine then checked hydraulic filter housing again and no fluid… dry filter …
I think the words in bold are also a strong indication of a potential coupler problem. If the coupler lets go there is generally no warning beforehand, which is exactly what you describe.

R.w. Chambers

Thanks for the info. I think you can probably leverage the experiences of the poster who originally created this thread and rather than going through lots of testing there might be a simpler way to determine if the hystat pump is actually turning. See the quote below from Post #18 on Page 1.

"After getting machine back to shop, I took rear pump off and left all hoses on... just didnt realize it was not sealed between the 2 pumps so out came all the hydraulic fluid. I was going to change it anyway so no big deal. I took flywheel cover off and rotated engine and had my finger where the spline shaft goes into the main pump and no movement at all while turning flywheel. Also realized you can see the bigger pumps spline shaft in a small window between flywheel and shaft and also got no rotation of the main pump spline. So I guess im safe to say I need a coupler."

Note the comment that if you don't drain the oil first you get a bath........

Also take a close look at Post #20 on Page 1 regarding what he actually found.
Thank you for the reply, and do agree, I’ll be doing this procedure first to test spline shaft movement ect, and the hydro bath did stick out ,.. thank you and Previouse poster For previous thread