• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D5K undercarriage

Welder Dave

Maybe there needs to be another grade added to SAE standards? Seems to be several brands of bolts exceeding grade 8 by 30,000 tensile or more. Grade 5 up to 1" is 120K tensile, Grade 8 is 150K tensile. Bolts referred to as grade 9 or exceeding grade 8 list 180K tensile. Not sure why SAE doesn't have an official grade for them? Maybe they will in the near future? They aren't uncommon.

Welder Dave

I know Bowman has had Bowmalloy fasteners for quite some time. I think they were considered the strongest bolts available back in the day. Do you know who makes Cat bolts?

nicky 68a

Wow,I never stop learning.
There’s is some great info here chaps.
I still have great confidence in most Cat products such as oil,filters,components etc ,but my faith is slowly getting eroded by parts availability,customer service and uneconomical GET products and undercarriage parts.
Back in the day,I was happy to plump up the extra 20% or more to enjoy the parts quality,rapid service and the reassurance from our Cat dealers.That’s no longer the case.There are far too many horror stories of Finnings shying away from their responsibilities,and I’ve gotten abit long in the tooth for those kind of fights.
There are plenty of rubbish quality parts and GET products about no doubt,but some of these manufacturers have really upped their standards and are battering Finnings and Cat in the UK right now.
To be fair,I can notice the difference between a Cat bolt and a Micky mouse bolt,but it’s nothing I can’t live with,and it’s not like they’ve ever become slack or sheared etc.