• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D5C Hystat Joystick wiring

CDCASTLE

The joystick controller on my 1998 Cat D5C Hystat has 2 membrane buttons that toggle between slow/high range speed from what I understand. I have no wiring diagram- Can someone tell me what each of the 5 or so wires coming from the joystick go to? I assume the wires supply current to some kind of solenoid or contact that changes the speed range? There seems to be no speed change when toggling the buttons- so I need to troubleshoot the wiring or
whatever device controls the speed change- Any advice /info would be appreciated. Thanks

Bob/Ont

I think they control a couple of solenoid that control pilot oil that changes the volume of the travel motors. Check for fuse and wires pulled off under the machine first.
Later Bob

CDCASTLE

Bob:
Can you tell me where on the machine to look for those solenoids- I have the floor boards off- but there are so many hoses,etc- hard to tell where these solenoids are.
Thanks

Bob/Ont

Take the rear skidpan down and look at small hoses going to the drive motors. They use pilot pressure to change the motor displacement.
Later Bob

Gabber

Gabber

Send me a PM with your machine serial number and your email address. I'll send you the wiring schematic.

Nige;

I have a D5W LGP 2003. The speed and horn buttons on the joystick are about done in. They still operate fine however this is not going to last forever.

Cat does not have replacements listed for the buttons only a replacement for the entire joystick in exchange for a suitcase full of samoleans.

The serial # is FDW00701.

I know I'm not the first one to trash these and need new ones.

Any suggestion on a source or workaround?

Many thanks.

Gabber

Gabber

Gabber

What Part Number were Cat quoting you for a complete replacement joystick..?
Have you tried other suppliers such as Offroad Equipment www.offroadeq.com ..?

The part # is 240-8149 Modular Handle GP if my machine has been converted from two 4 pins to a single six pin connector.

Otherwise, there has to be a complete conversion kit fitted which is very technical and costly.

The machine is in Mid GA so it will be middle of the week before I can determine which setup I have.

Here is a schematic showing the buttons on the top of the joystick.

I appreciate the tip about offroad and your prompt response to my post.

Thank you.

Attachments

• D5G Joystick CC.pdf
    335.3 KB · Views: 41

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have found the document with the upgrade procedure to convert the joystick if that is necessary. The reason for the conversion was to provide a separate joystick handle (with the speed/horn buttons as part of said handle) so that the handle could be serviced separately from the expensive electronic control that is mounted under it. Previously if the handle had problems the whole unit had to be replaced because the handle was not available separately.

TBH the best thing to do as a first step is find out what you have on the machine right now as regards electrical connections under the joystick to see if your machine has already been modified before going any further.
I'm seeing the parts pricing for the conversion at around $800.