• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D4D Identification needed.

montman

Hi All

Just purchased a Cat D4D dozer which the guy said was a 1984 year one but i have not got a clue if it is or not does anyone know,this is what i could find from the plate in the cab.

On the first line going from left to right D4D 7R628 3A3290.
On the second line again left to right 3304 48V5904 6A5543.

Can anyone tell me what these mean it has power shift (3 forward 3 reverse) straight/tilt blade and wide tracks.

Also on the hydraulic tank in front of the front cab window there is a plate that has on it serial number 54G 7094 the pipes off it go to the blade again does anyone know what the serial number corresponds to.

What type/grade oils does it use ie hydraulic,engine,etc.

Thanks in advance.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can't give you all the information you're looking for, but I can fill in some of the blanks. First I doubt it is 1984 vintage, although someone may correct me on that. I think it dates from around 1973 at the latest, likely earlier than that. The D4D was built up to 1977 according to my records when it was replaced with the D4E. From the Serial Number prefix (07R) your machine was built in France. By your description of the tracks it sounds like a low ground pressure (LGP) machine.

Regarding the cab plate.
The first line is the tractor Serial Number - 7R628, or more correctly 07R00628 in today's numbering system.
The second line is the engine model (3304), Serial Number (48V05904), and Arrangement (6A-5543).

The plate on the hydraulic tank is the Serial Number (54G07094) of the 141 hydraulic control system installed on the tractor. Back in the day the hydraulic control was a separate system to the tractor itself and has its own Serial Number.

Lubricants for UK use: -
Engine - SAE10W30 or 15W/40 meeting CF-4 specification or later.
Transmission - SAE30 TDTO meeting Caterpillar TO-4 spec.
Bevel gear compartment - as above.
Final Drives - SAE50 TDTO meeting Caterpillar TO-4 spec.
Hydraulic system - SAE 10W hydraulic oil.

montman

Thanks Nige for the info,

When i order manuals is it specific to that dozer or do they cover various serial number dozers ie operaters/repair and parts manuals,if they cover various does anyone know what manuals i could get to cover them.

The year i thought might be earlier but i have seen some D4Ds advertised as 1980 and 1984 years and they look identical same dash etc apart from the cab, but i have also read that it was built up to 1977.

What would the horsepower be on this dozer?.

Its a fair dozer could be better but it works well, the tracks are 50%, the sprockets are the bolt on segments which i like price £5500 gb pounds.

It will only be worked around 60 hours a year as it will be grading a motocross track it does not pay to buy more expensive for just that work.

Nige

If you want manuals your local Cat Dealer will ask an arm & a leg for them, and I doubt they are still in print. I suggest you start with an Operation & Maintenance Manual (O&MM). This covers the basics of machine operation and maintenance including fluid specs and maintenance intervals. For a D4D LGP tractor of 7R-prefix the manual is Cat publication reference GEGO0779. The Parts Manual for the machine is publication reference UEH0789S. Before going to Cat dealers try posting on here in the Classified Section.

Horsepower for your machine is 75BHP Gross.

Puffie40

According to ritchiewiki, 07R means your machine was built in France. The D4D was made in France from 1969 to 1977. Since France started production at 07R00434, yours is a early 1970 model.

Old Magnet

Can't always believe what ritchiewiki says. I show the 7R production to begin in 1969.
s/n 599 to 731 is 1974 production.

The 48v 3304 came in at s/n 508.
Prior to that would be the D330c

Last edited:

montman

Thanks again for the info,it does seem that it is a 1974 model but i am happy with it and it does work well,the brake bands were replaced about 9 months ago with about 90 hours on them so should be good for a while.

Nige where is the classified section on here i have looked but must be missing it.

Also what quantities of oil does the engine etc take just so i can order more than i need rather than too little then have to reorder,do need to sort out the manuals as the info would be in them.

Nige

Lubricant quantities in UK gallons as follows. Remember these are only a guide. Always work to what the dipstick or sight glass on the machine indicates.

Engine - 4 gallons
Transmission & Converter - 6.5 gallons
Bevel Gear Compartment - 3.75 gallons
Final Drives (Each) - 2.3 gallons
Hydraulic System - 7 gallons
Cooling System - 7 gallons