• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d4 basket case

yrens

Lol, I just had that same exact issue with that little ring missing on my injection pump and the line leaking. Fortunately I found one off a spare line that broke into 3 pieces, but I stuck it around the line with some grease and it sealed up.

If I had to make up a new one, I'd look at the hardware store or at McMaster for a spacer where the inside diameter matches and cut it in half to get it on the line. Others here might have a better idea though. Sounds like you are close!
Wow I just saw your recent Video on the first start. Incredible and excellent jobI saw the fuel line leak which you and I both had. Too funny. I’ll hopefully have my first successful start next Wednesday. It will be most likely be my last trip until May. It’s going to be a long winter. I’m going to tarp it up and mothball it the best I can. If all goes well have it hopefully moving in June.

yrens

Good luck! Looked like you were pretty close to get it running in that video you posted. Gonna be a long wait to June
Yes it will be, but not much choice due to where I’m located and where it’s located.
The winters here are a bit insane at times. Looks like I’ll be working in the rain my last day if the weather man/woman is correct. One thing that perplexed me just a bit was how fast you selected the compression lever and how quickly it started. With the pony motor you let it spin check oil and fuel pressures then engage then disengage if need be and so on. But with direct start it seems to act like different animal? Getting back to the video I posted, I apologize for the quality etc. I’m definitely not a pro at that. Maybe I can get a bit better on the next one.

Lumberjack Matt

It builds oil and fuel pressure after about 2-3 seconds of cranking. After the first time you crank it, waiting for oil pressure to build isn't really as big of a concern since the engine has been pre-lubed pretty well (in my opinion). Obviously if the engine has been sitting for awhile, you might want to crank it over for longer so that the oil can get all the way through the engine and up into the valves, but I had been cranking it a bunch the night before while priming it. Also (in my opinion) if you are using ether, it's best to spray it in early on and get compression enabled to prevent a situation where you have a lot of diesel + ether in the cylinder.

Last edited:

yrens

Thanks I will keep that in mind this Wednesday. I’m still learning about Diesel engines. My mind tells me you need to generate heat with glow plugs or a pony motor. Direct start no glow plugs and it starts just fine without the heat process???

56wrench

Precombustion(indirect injection) diesel engines need either pup engine exhaust heat through the intake manifold or glow plugs or other starting aid. It doesn’t matter if it has a pup engine or electric starter or if the ambient temp is warm. A direct injection diesel engine usually does not need starting aids unless the ambient temperature is low. On those engines they may retard the injection timing or have an excess fuel position in the injection pump

Lumberjack Matt

Per the CAT manual for this engine (D315), no starting aids are needed when the ambient temperature is 50F or above. I will put it to the test on mine once I get my buggy electrics sorted. It is almost always around 50F in my shop.

That being said, having an intake heater will be a much better option than hoping the battery is perfectly charged.

d315.png

Last edited:

yrens

Okay interesting. Well it’s going to be a bit below that early Wednesday for me but I have the fuel line ready to go and feeling like it should start. It would be the perfect ending for my goal and the season.
I wanted to ask, did you leave that one floor panel original for a reason on your freshly painted CAT?

yrens

SWEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!!
Well it finally happened gang! After 18 trips with a total of 4 hours drive time each, with tools generator etc. I reached my goal on my last trip for the season. I got the old beast started. I almost thought it was not going to start and I would head back home with my tail between my legs. Finally after approx. 45 minutes of continuous engage and disengage of start compression she finally blew and started. The feeling was incredible. I have some video to post. (3) clips actually.My GoPro Sd card was full right when it started:mad:But I got a clip right after. The pony motor for some reason gave me a bit of trouble again at first. It would fill up with fuel and flood out. It would just pour out of the head drains. Not sure why that happened. Maybe a stuck float? oil checked good aside from the massive leak from the crank seal. But once I got it going it did its job!

yrens

Thanks I’ll take it. I’m thinking a C- for my videos! Not sure why they are not available? They were for a short time. Plus for some reason I can’t get the third one posted.

yrens

Thanks I’ll take it. I’m thinking a C- for my videos! Not sure why they are not available? They were for a short time. Plus for some reason I can’t get the third one posted.
I just see them now on the desktop? I have one more short one with it running smooth. I will keep trying.