• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D3 vs JD 550

Grease Gun

Guys,
I'm looking at a John Deere 550 and a Cat D3B. I am assuming the 550 is a late 90's model....it has pedal steer. The D3B is an '86 model.

Both machines appear to be in good shape. Both are Midwest machines. Wondering if there is anything I need to look out for on the Deere?

Welder Dave

The 3204 isn't the best Cat engine but a non turbo in a D3B isn't real hard on it. I have an 86 931B but I had the engine rebuilt with 3 ring pistons because of a hole punched in the oil pan. I've heard the JD 550 could have transmission problems and are very expensive to fix. Also not all parts may be available for the JD but that may depend on what year it actually is. Cat on the other hand has much better parts support and I think a better transmission. It would really help to have some more info on each machine. Just saying one is better than the other without knowing anything else is kind of useless information. Price, year for sure, hours, undercarriage, steering and drive operation, etc.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The turbo is not a high failure item on the John Deere but I would gladly replace one to avoid running the Cat if I had a choice between the two.I think the Cat would be pedal steer too would it not?Ron G