• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D series Skid/CTL Dusty Overheat Issues

MH110

Does anyone use their CAT d series skid steer or CTL’s in an extreme dusty environment for long periods of time?

We have been mowing in pretty dusty environments, sometimes large fields, and the rear grill and AC condenser gets clogged very quickly, does anyone experience the same? If we don’t clean it out every 30 minutes or so, the temperature starts to rise pretty quickly, especially on hot days. Takes a good amount of air and water to blow it back out, then its fine for another 20-30 min or so. Its not the machine’s main purpose, but we do find ourselves doing it more often, especially land and brush cutting.

Has anyone modified the rear grill or had a reversing fan installed on the rear door? I know there is one that blows dust out of the top radiator every few minutes, but that doesn’t help the rear door grill getting clogged.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I would have thought that the reversing fan would also help with keeping the rear door grill free if the complete machine air flow direction changes every few minutes (or on demand by pressing a switch in the cab apparently).
The documentation also makes mention of - "A machine enclosure seal kit (debris kit) and a turbo guard kit must be installed on machines in forestry or land management applications when equipped with the reversing fan kit". Maybe there are just too many "leaks" in the sheet metal to correctly channel the air flow without that.? Pure speculation on my part.