• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat C9 High Soot Levels

Queenslander

Of all the highly paid industry analysts we have, I doubt there would have been a single one that forecast we would be seeing these prices after the highs of last year.

colson04

That is pretty woeful, and cattle are worth nothing as well. And feed is as expensive as hell to buy in.

Lucky things are not too bad here.

I am finding it hard to fathom how everything has gone tits up so fast. Who would have thought cattle prices would drop 50+%. Especially when you see what they are getting in the US. Going to give away some steers to the meatworks next week. Their mates last year I was averaging $2700 a head. I will be surprised if I get $1300 next week.

Then you look at what they are getting in the US at the moment. Just saw a price in the US for slaughter cows. Comes back to roughly AU$6.80/kg carcass weight. Current prices here about AU$3.35/kg

We're selling deacon bulls (half angus/half Holstein) at weekly auction for $400‐$450 each. Just over $4/pound live weight. Some of these calves aren't even 24 hours old. Two or three years ago, we got half that for the crosses, and even less for a straight Holstein. We sold one load of straight Holstein bull calves (5 head), and averaged $45/head in 2020. It's truly amazing how fast the market can swing from one direction to the other.

Corn prices have gone from a $5.92/bushel on May 15th when we planted our current field, to a current of $4.22/bushel today at harvest. Significant difference in projected income from when the seed was planted to when you actually harvest.

.RC.

We're selling deacon bulls (half angus/half Holstein) at weekly auction for $400‐$450 each. Just over $4/pound live weight. Some of these calves aren't even 24 hours old. Two or three years ago, we got half that for the crosses, and even less for a straight Holstein. We sold one load of straight Holstein bull calves (5 head), and averaged $45/head in 2020. It's truly amazing how fast the market can swing from one direction to the other.

Corn prices have gone from a $5.92/bushel on May 15th when we planted our current field, to a current of $4.22/bushel today at harvest. Significant difference in projected income from when the seed was planted to when you actually harvest.

Just sold some steers,only a small mob just under 40. We fatten or try to fatten everything on grass here just to generic export markets. So these steers were about 36 months old and drought affected since there has been SFA rain in the paddock they were in for most of this year, but they dressed out at 330kg (730lb) and I got just under AU$1400 (US$890) each.

A mob last year dressed out at 355kg (780lb) and I got AU$2870 (US$1844), which we knew were a bit unsustainable prices, but shows how far back it has gone in a year in a half.

Five months ago I sold a bit over 40 that dressed 373kg (820lb) and I got AU$2200 (US$1400) That is where I feel today's market should be.

Wait and see though the prices will rise now (indications are already headed that way) as I am a great financial advisor. Do the exact opposite that I do and you will be a squillionaire in no time, but I simply could not hold onto these any longer.

Last edited:

Queenslander

Results of 50hr oil test look promising.
Certainly solved the fuel dilution issue and soot levels are greatly reduced.
Fairly expensive exercise but glad to have it running properly at last.
Just reinforces my opinion of the value of oil testing, not unlike the blood tests we have to have as we get older.
Thanks Cmark and Nige, you were on the money as usual.

Last edited:

.RC.

It is a good feeling getting a niggly problem sorted even if it costs a bit. To make things better cattle prices are heading in the right direction finally, not at what I would call decent money yet, but it is a start.