• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat c13 in excavator oil pump

nowing75

Im fixing a Oil leak on a c13 has little over 8000 hours. Should i change the oil pump as i have the oil manifold already off. Not sure how long they normal last. s/n is tfg00712. Thanks

Jason

AzIron

Just a thought 8000 hrs would be getting close to half million miles and I was always taught that it's cheap to put an oil pump in when the pans off at that kinda time and I have seen an oil pump failure kill a few engines so it's a no brainers to me

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If it's anything like the C13 engines we had in our 349Ds the biggest key to maintaining oil pressure was to do a mid-life replacement of the oil filter head. It had poppet relief/bypass valves in it that would eventually wear into the seats in the aluminium housing of the filter head and cause a lack of oil pressure.

The symptom of one starting to wear would be a low oil pressure warning at low idle with a hot engine when the machine was coming up to an oil change - say above 200 hours on the oil. An early oil /filter change would mask the symptoms for a while but the only long-term solution was to replace the filter base.

A quick look confirms that the one on your machine looks similar. It might pay you to inspect the iinside of it for wear where the poppets seat. You can pull it apart without removing it from the machine. Examine #6 & 7 closely, plus the condition of the bottom of the bores where they fit.

upload_2022-3-7_21-42-47.png

nowing75

If it's anything like the C13 engines we had in our 349Ds the biggest key to maintaining oil pressure was to do a mid-life replacement of the oil filter head. It had poppet relief/bypass valves in it that would eventually wear into the seats in the aluminium housing of the filter head and cause a lack of oil pressure.

The symptom of one starting to wear would be a low oil pressure warning at low idle with a hot engine when the machine was coming up to an oil change - say above 200 hours on the oil. An early oil /filter change would mask the symptoms for a while but the only long-term solution was to replace the filter base.

A quick look confirms that the one on your machine looks similar. It might pay you to inspect the iinside of it for wear where the poppets seat. You can pull it apart without removing it from the machine. Examine #6 & 7 closely, plus the condition of the bottom of the bores where they fit.

View attachment 255191
Thanks for the info. I will look into the housing.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I will say that the housing assembly (see below) is a different Part Number on your machine to the one on the C13 in the 349D. However the two poppets and the springs (#1, 5, & 10) are all the same Part Number. If you check I'd guess that you'll find the cast housing for the oil filter base assembly is also aluminium like the one on the 349D.

upload_2022-3-22_17-50-39.png