• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat branded drill bits

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
Anybody use caterpillar brand drill bits? I need a sho nuff good set of drill bits for broke bolts and wonder if these are any good. I've used a few small ones in the past and they seemed to be pretty decent. Just wanting some other opinions before I buy. If you got any other suggestions for a good hard bolt drilling bit, let's hear it. Not worried about price, just quality. I'm tired of every time I need to drill a bolt out having to either specifically order a few bits just for that job or making do with crappy ones. There has to be something better!!!

Deere500a

No help with the Cat bits but Habor frieght has 10pc left hand (counter clockwise)drill bit set for $10 for broken studs. The few times using them they worked well.

DB2

Artu drill bits are supposed to be some of the best. Do a search here on the forum. It has been discussed before.

JD955SC

I would like to know who the OEM is for the Cat labelled bits, dies, and taps.

Last edited:

jteck75

I've got a set of Norseman bits and they have done a great job on broken bolts on equipment. You can find them on the web,or if you have a Fastenal near you they should stock them.

mitch504

I really like Turbomax bits by Irwin, and Blu-Mol bits.

I ordered a few Artu bits to try, and haven't needed them in the week or two since I got them, thank goodness.

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
Went ahead and bought the norseman bits. Heard lots of good things bout em, (and they were on sale.) now that I got good bits I'm in the mood to replace my harbor freight taps and dies with some I'm not scared to use! Any suggestions on a good US and metric set?

JD955SC

Went ahead and bought the norseman bits. Heard lots of good things bout em, (and they were on sale.) now that I got good bits I'm in the mood to replace my harbor freight taps and dies with some I'm not scared to use! Any suggestions on a good US and metric set?

Pretty much the tool trucks rebrand Irwin tap and die sets, the difference is your driver may warranty them if broken. Many buy the tool truck or Irwin sets.

Personally I buy individual taps that are HSS and USA made from quality makers. You can find lots of good taps at cheap prices on Ebay. Because a broken tap is a pain in the ass, I'd rather buy the highest quality taps I can and do my best not to break them. To me, not having a warranty and having to purchase a replacement tap is not a big deal.