• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 988b tranfer gear oil leak please help

Paul Six

If they crossed the control from wheel to park brake i think they had a problem with the wheel brakes

gladiatore

now i have a problem with other 988b sudenly started trow white smoke from oil filler cap and breather what it can be?

gladiatore

smoke from exhaust is normal but from oil filler cap, brather and dipstick trows white smoke

can it be a prechamber? or broken rings?

Last edited:

Bob/Ont

Is there a lot of creamy sludge on the dipstick and filler cap? That would indicate coolant in the crankcase. Does the white smoke come out in puffs? Can you hear a misfire?
Later Bob
now i have a problem with other 988b sudenly started trow white smoke from oil filler cap and breather what it can be?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Is there a lot of creamy sludge on the dipstick and filler cap? That would indicate coolant in the crankcase. Does the white smoke come out in puffs? Can you hear a misfire?
Later Bob

I'd add the question, is it pushing coolant out the radiator cap if it's removed when it is started?

gladiatore

well Ken and Bob, coolant its ok no leak or pushing out in radiator cap, oil is perfect (old but not mixed with water) and i found are compression rings that are broked

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
well Ken and Bob, coolant its ok no leak or pushing out in radiator cap, oil is perfect (old but not mixed with water) and i found are compression rings that are broked

Trying to picture the 3408 in a 988B, seems like not too bad a motor to do an in chassis rebuild on. That's assuming you're not doing it outside in the rain or during a wind storm. I believe Cat has or did have "Cylinder Packs" for those engines that came with pistons and rods all assembled in the liners. I believe we still have the special puller that lets you pull the old ones as a unit. Can be a good way to go if conditions are not perfect.