• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977E makes grinding noise

Inkang

I just bought a cat 977E and I'm learning as I go. When I go to engage the clutch lever to move forward or reverse it makes a grinding noise and it starts moving but seems like to me it's not fully engaged. When I first went to test drive this it didn't make that noise but now it makes grinding noise and has difficulty moving in any direction. Any help would be appreciated...
I'm near O'hare btw

Last edited:

anuradha

Hi,

When you post, mention the serial number as wll, then it will be easy for some one who is willing to help you.

Old Magnet

That unit has an oil clutch which are known to drag when the oil is cold and unit tends to move until the oil heats up. What weight oil are you using in the clutch.
Along with clutch drag the adjustment and wear on the transmission brake will allow gear crunching when attempting to engage.