• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 977 been sitting for 21 years

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just to help with suggestions how about posting a couple pictures of the engine. Pictures can tell many of us things that we would have to ask long involved questions to be sure we are all on the same track. Get pictures of both side of engine and maybe one or two of the dash and controls in that area?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
All good advice. Post a picture of the injection pump. If it is the style I think, you should have a flat cover on it with 6(?) bolts. Take that off, nothing will fall out, and insure the vertical plungers and that the slide will move freely. The slide is spring operated from the throttle and do stick causing runaways or lack of fuel, dependent on where it is stuck. Do not grab then with a vice grip or raw pliers and mar them. Put some rag between the jaws and be gentile. They are a finely machined surface. They are often stuck but usually easily freed up with a little tinkering. Crank with the compression released and the throttle all the way off to build a little heat and get some oil circulating to where it has drained over the years. After oil pressure develops then flip to compression and when cranking give the throttle a good jerk to wide open. Jerking it wide open pulls harder on the spring opening the fuel. Immediately back it off when it fires. I would not crack injectors before trying to start it as stated by others. It would be good to crack the fuel tank drain and get rid of any condensation water that would be settled to the bottom of the tank. There are so many little things that one versed in starting these old machines could help you with on this first start that it would be wise to have help. Again I would urge you to go to the ACMOC site and shout out. There are many ACMOC members in North Carolina area and finding help should not be difficult. We take great pride in getting these old girls running again and it probably won't cost you a dime to get a hand.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
That direct start model should have preheaters also. Not a good idea to use ether with them.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Again I would urge you to go to the ACMOC site and shout out. There are many ACMOC members in North Carolina area and finding help should not be difficult. We take great pride in getting these old girls running again and it probably won't cost you a dime to get a hand.

Very good idea, most it might cost you is a couple barley sodas! If this machine was close to me I might be willing to take a ride out just for fun, but then it's down in the negative numbers on the thermometer this morning so even if it was a stones throw from me I might pass on it today. That and it's at least a ten hour drive from me!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
While rolling the engine thru mind the gauges, engine oil pressure may not come up a lot but has to have some flowing and some pressure indicated before I would start it. Cracking loose any and ALL the drain plugs will not hurt either, on the finals, the trans and the engine as water is despicable once it mixes with oil becoming a emulsion, lack of lubrication, steam impingement as it boils off, erosion corrosion all sorts of damaging issues.

sealark37

Occupation
Retired pilot, old equipment mechanic
Unless you have a great deal of confidence in the owner of this machine, get a bill of sale before you start trying to start it up. He might value it much higher running than he did before you cranked it. Don't ask why I bring this up. Regards, Clark

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
Wow those tracks look next to new. The whole machine looks next to new? What's the hour meter on the injection pump read?

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
B133F1AE-8584-4880-A1ED-B4E085A55AF8.jpeg C5E18023-B883-4DCB-B72B-C91A6DDEFB84.jpeg 700E5655-08FD-429E-A158-DB705CF82EBD.jpeg 8BB9277D-FF87-4748-AD8F-351E5EC72B13.jpeg So we are still waiting on the equipment broker to see if he is going to make an offer. I am thinking that since we haven’t heard from him that means he isn’t interested which is good for me. I took a couple of more pics. I am not very knowledgeable on undercarriages but this one seems to be in great shape other than the bad kink.

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
49A3D545-43FC-47E6-9FCD-AAD03D8B8BC1.jpeg 1963FDCD-BE5F-4662-A787-56747FB54438.jpeg More pics

Gary, Where exactly is this hour meter you are talking about?

Last edited:

gary808

Occupation
If it's hard to read ypu can take the 4 screws off to read it. 2018-01-16 10.16.03.png

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If'fn you want someone to run it awhile and break all the rusty parts BACK in I would volunteer!! Rails look newer, all I can see looks very good and electric starter in the bottom of the hole top center of photo. Make sure the engine will roll thru then time to get it started.

gary808

Occupation
Here's the basics on the fuel system. Under the top cover (4 nuts) there is the main fuel filter. Their is a drain on the bottom to empty the bowl.
Can't see the lift pump but it's below the hour meter their is a pre screen under a bowl. They plug up rather fast if the tanks rusty. If you could you can cut and add a plastic in line filter by the tank to monitor it since it's been sitting so long.
That would be way easier to view and change in the event of rust.
Our tank was terrible when we got our machine. We had to add a filter so for easy access before we could clean the tank.
Also if you have a decent bit of fuel in the tank and open the air bleed on the filter housing it should self prime.
2018-01-16 12.17.55.png

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
06ADA225-044E-4E4A-9495-28EEC474ACC3.jpeg 09CDA550-84DB-4419-A10B-C2BD7213B8F1.jpeg 5F635E89-200D-41D9-A3C3-C09AD2DC3A2B.jpeg 88E3CA62-CA85-4AD5-98EB-A0DD0691DC90.jpeg So I pulled the fan cage off and tried to turn the engine over by hand. It rotated a little bit but then the belt started slipping. But it rotated enough for me to confirm that the engine isn’t frozen. I don’t see a great way to access the front of the engine to put a wrench on it to manually turn the engine over. Suggestions? Also I looked for the compression release but I am not sure what to look for exactly. Here some more pics. Thanks for all the info and help from everybody. I think these old machines are cool and it would be nice to add another piece of history to our collection of 40’s and 50’s model tractors we currently have. I am just hoping that broker doesn’t want it and that my boss gives me the official word that it’s mine so I can really dig into it.

Last edited:

Delmer

Grab the belt in the middle of the span and use one hand to tighten it at the same time both hands are turning, one on the belt and one on the fan. It will only turn a tiny bit at a time, wait a few seconds, turn it again.

gary808

Occupation
Ours was around the same year and didn't have a compression release on it.

Off topic
How in the world did a pony start fit in a 977h? I would love to see a pic. Changing out the starter on our was about the worst experience I've ever had working on a cat. Can't imagine how they crammed a pony in there.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You never swapped one on a big Allis or Terex!! Easiest swap I ever had was a Euc quarry dump truck, out and in the open, just heavy MT50 I believe.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Gary, just had a look at my parts book, looks like a side-saddle pony engine like on a D7...

4wheelinj1, on my 1963 977H the decompression lever is at the back of the head where that blanking plate is on yours, I can't remember now if my '64 has one or not, not that it really helps you any lol. I do have a sheet of starting instructions somewhere I put together for my dad years ago, if you want I can try to find those...

Cmark

It has a starter motor. You can see it in post #34 photo 4. And looking at the wear on the pedals, I would say that it probably has north of 5000hrs on it. The mechanical hour meters weren't very good and would fall apart from the vibration, but it could be worth a look.

It's clearly has a new exhaust elbow not long before it was parked as the paint isn't burnt off yet. My biggest concern would be if the chimney has been left open.

gary808

Occupation
Gary, just had a look at my parts book, looks like a side-saddle pony engine like on a D7...

4wheelinj1, on my 1963 977H the
decompression lever is at the back of the head where that blanking plate is on yours, I can't remember now if my '64 has one or not, not that it really helps you any lol. I do have a sheet of starting instructions somewhere I put together for my dad years ago, if you want I can try to find those...

You never swapped one on a big Allis or Terex!! Easiest swap I ever had was a Euc quarry dump truck, out and in the open, just heavy MT50 I believe.
That must be so satisfying to work on. The 977 reminds me of our late 90s 446 backhoe. You can't get to that engine to save your life.