• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 973 hydraulics stopped working

Harleyone

Hello all we have a cat 973 loader that the bucket just stopped working. The last time we used it was about a month ago and everything worked fine. Went out there 2 days ago started it up went to lift the bucket and nothing. The machine will move but no functions on the bucket will work no lift, no curl, and no 4 in 1 operation. Its full of fluid but nothing works which is odd because this machine has never let us down. But I guess there a first time for everything lol I am kinda at a lose where to go from here any idrs would be appreciated

Fri973

Could be the Main relief valve
Has something stuck in it holding it open

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Never worked on one of these. Pump to engine connections ok,sound like pump is working?

Harleyone

ok the serial number is 086G01173 i hope that helps and as for pilot pressure im not sure what that is or how to check it i really need to find a service manual fo it if any one has one

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I really need to find a service manual fo it if any one has one
The Cat Publication reference for the Service Manual is SENR2454. Like this one on eBay -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterp...ACK-LOADER-26-32Z-66G-86-90L-91-/372320415088

A brand-new paper manual goes for four times the price that one is selling for. The only question to ask anyone offering a used paper Service Manual for sale. Is it complete..?

Pilot Pressure should be 350 ± 10 psi. Attached is the hydraulic schematic. The Pilot Pump Test Point is "D" (highlighted) on Page 2.
Also attached the Parts Manual for the lines. Pilot Pump is arrowed. Test point is #14, right on the back of the pump itself.

Attachments

• 973 Pump & Lines Gp.pdf
    70.2 KB · Views: 28
  • SENR3643-00 - 973 Hydraulic Schematic.pdf
    231.6 KB · Views: 17

Harleyone

can i ask another stupid question if the hyd. fluid was way low could that be the problem because it was and i filled it up but still no movement

Harleyone

i do not have a pressure gauge to test pressure at the pilot pump but it does shoot out fluid with the test port out and spinning the engine over

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If it’s pumping oil out of the test port then it’s not the pilot pump coupling that’s failed. Is that with the engine running at idle speed or just spinning it over on the starter..?

I understand that you don’t have any gauges yourself but could you borrow something from somewhere.? Trying to diagnose a hydraulic problem without gauges is like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack.